BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to run 31's x 10.5 on my stock YJ and someone sugested spacers but what are they and where do they go?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
They (we) were talking about wheel spacers. They go between the wheel and the rotor, over the wheel studs.
1/4" ones slip over the stock studs and then the wheel bolts on.
1" or longer ones bolt to the stock studs, but have new studs on the spacer that the wheel bolts to.

The rear studs on Jeeps are not long enough to use a 1/4" spacer safely, but you can buy and install longer wheel studs.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
i want to run 31's x 10.5 on my stock YJ and someone sugested spacers but what are they and where do they go?
You don't need them if you don't mind either some wheel rubbing, or else adjusting your steering stops. Either way, you will lose a bit of turning radius if you don't use the spacers. On the other hand, the spacers are going to put a bit more stress on your bearings and will cost you money.

I ran 31x10.5 tires w/o spacers for a few years and didn't really notice the lost turning radius. You don't lose that much.

...lars

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been thinking about using spacers, my rear tires are rubbing against my tailpipe and are only about 1/4" from my leaf springs!
So, either find rims with a more negative offset or use the spacers?
What's the max. distance spacers can provide? 2"? Also, who carries these and approx. how much are they?

Originally posted by lars:
You don't need them if you don't mind either some wheel rubbing, or else adjusting your steering stops. Either way, you will lose a bit of turning radius if you don't use the spacers. On the other hand, the spacers are going to put a bit more stress on your bearings and will cost you money.

I ran 31x10.5 tires w/o spacers for a few years and didn't really notice the lost turning radius. You don't lose that much.

...lars

...lars

------------------
1982 CJ7
- 4" Skyjacker lift
- 2" Shackles
- 33" BFG m/t's

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't know hte exact price, but 1" and larger are super expensive, like $200.00 US for a pair or something.

Unless you already have expensive cutom wheels just buy a set of American Racing black steel wheels. You can often get them for $70.00 each on sale, and they have a good variety of sizes and offsets.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by CJ DAVE:
my rear tires are rubbing against my tailpipe
Would it be simpler to get your tail-pipe bent a bit? I would think so...

What's the max. distance spacers can provide? 2"?
Here's one source (geez, I'm getting good at URL-guessing): http://www.wheelspacers.com/

IIRC, they're very pricey. In local speed shops you should be able to find cheap 1/4" thick spacers, but beyond this, you're into big-$$$ territory.

I agree with Lars about the added stress on the bearings too. 2" is a LOT of extra stress.

If your heart is really set on wider/bigger tires and your wallet decides it's up to the challenge of fixing it properly, then I would suggest considering wider axles (and running standard-offset wheels, making for good bearing life).

My $0.02.

------------------
Hey it's only a message board - Lighten Up!

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited July 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course I thought of re-routing my exhaust - that wasn't the only reason I was interested in the spacers......
I hammered the crap out of my exhaust and clamped it tight against my frame, it now only rubs on sharp right turns! : )
I will be looking for cheap, steel rims with a deeper offset. Probably the simplest solution.

Originally posted by Gord:
Here's one source (geez, I'm getting good at URL-guessing): http://www.wheelspacers.com/

IIRC, they're very pricey. In local speed shops you should be able to find cheap 1/4" thick spacers, but beyond this, you're into big-$$$ territory.

I agree with Lars about the added stress on the bearings too. 2" is a LOT of extra stress.

If your heart is really set on wider/bigger tires and your wallet decides it's up to the challenge of fixing it properly, then I would suggest considering wider axles (and running standard-offset wheels, making for good bearing life).

My $0.02.

------------------
1982 CJ7
4" Skyjacker lift, 2" Shackles, 33" Mudkings, skipping CD player

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by lars:

...lars

...lars

Lars, did u go with steering stops??, if so did it cost alot?. Will 1/4 inch spacers solve my rubbing problems?

------------------
92 YJ stock but still luvin it!

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited July 23, 2001).]

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
Lars, did u go with steering stops??, if so did it cost alot?. Will 1/4 inch spacers solve my rubbing problems?
Steering stops? Nothing to buy, just back out the bolt on each knuckle until it sticks out far enough to stop your tires from touching the springs and full steer. Have a look on the back of your knuckle, on the side that is facing the rear of the vehicle. You will see the bolt with what looks like a lock nut (although it isn't...so don't try to loosen that nut). If you turn the steering all the way in the right direction, you will notice that the bolt comes very close to contacting the yoke. Well, you need to adjust the bolt so that it hits the yoke before the tire hits the spring pack. Simple.

Why not try the adjustment first, and then if you don't like it, buy the spacers?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited July 23, 2001).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again lars for your help

------------------
92 YJ stock but still luvin it!