BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
i want to run 31's x 10.5 on my stock YJ and someone sugested spacers but what are they and where do they go?
You don't need them if you don't mind either some wheel rubbing, or else adjusting your steering stops. Either way, you will lose a bit of turning radius if you don't use the spacers. On the other hand, the spacers are going to put a bit more stress on your bearings and will cost you money.

I ran 31x10.5 tires w/o spacers for a few years and didn't really notice the lost turning radius. You don't lose that much.

...lars

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
Lars, did u go with steering stops??, if so did it cost alot?. Will 1/4 inch spacers solve my rubbing problems?
Steering stops? Nothing to buy, just back out the bolt on each knuckle until it sticks out far enough to stop your tires from touching the springs and full steer. Have a look on the back of your knuckle, on the side that is facing the rear of the vehicle. You will see the bolt with what looks like a lock nut (although it isn't...so don't try to loosen that nut). If you turn the steering all the way in the right direction, you will notice that the bolt comes very close to contacting the yoke. Well, you need to adjust the bolt so that it hits the yoke before the tire hits the spring pack. Simple.

Why not try the adjustment first, and then if you don't like it, buy the spacers?

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

[This message has been edited by lars (edited July 23, 2001).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.