BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been thinking about using spacers, my rear tires are rubbing against my tailpipe and are only about 1/4" from my leaf springs!
So, either find rims with a more negative offset or use the spacers?
What's the max. distance spacers can provide? 2"? Also, who carries these and approx. how much are they?

Originally posted by lars:
You don't need them if you don't mind either some wheel rubbing, or else adjusting your steering stops. Either way, you will lose a bit of turning radius if you don't use the spacers. On the other hand, the spacers are going to put a bit more stress on your bearings and will cost you money.

I ran 31x10.5 tires w/o spacers for a few years and didn't really notice the lost turning radius. You don't lose that much.

...lars

...lars

------------------
1982 CJ7
- 4" Skyjacker lift
- 2" Shackles
- 33" BFG m/t's

·
Registered
30 Posts
Of course I thought of re-routing my exhaust - that wasn't the only reason I was interested in the spacers......
I hammered the crap out of my exhaust and clamped it tight against my frame, it now only rubs on sharp right turns! : )
I will be looking for cheap, steel rims with a deeper offset. Probably the simplest solution.

Originally posted by Gord:
Here's one source (geez, I'm getting good at URL-guessing): http://www.wheelspacers.com/

IIRC, they're very pricey. In local speed shops you should be able to find cheap 1/4" thick spacers, but beyond this, you're into big-$$$ territory.

I agree with Lars about the added stress on the bearings too. 2" is a LOT of extra stress.

If your heart is really set on wider/bigger tires and your wallet decides it's up to the challenge of fixing it properly, then I would suggest considering wider axles (and running standard-offset wheels, making for good bearing life).

My $0.02.

------------------
1982 CJ7
4" Skyjacker lift, 2" Shackles, 33" Mudkings, skipping CD player

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.