BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where would i go to get a adapter to adjust my speedo?

------------------
1985 cj7 6inch lift,6 point cage,custom $25 paint job with flames,engine done up,32inch mud tires,cb,alarm.(future mods, lockers,dana 60 rear,dana 44 front,soft-top,leaf over,mabey 40inch boggers and a amc 360 for power)also a member of bone shakers 4x4 club.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The part you're looking for is a speedo drive gear. It's the small plastic gear that is on the end of the speedo cable, inside the transfer case. These gears are available with different numbers of teeth, and you just pick the one with the right number for your tire size & axle gear ratio.

Hopefully the dealership has the one you need. If not, try Gemini Sales in Burnaby or Langley.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
47 Posts
how do you know which speedo drive gear (number of teeth) is right for the tire size and axle gear ratio

Example: I presently have 31s with 4.56 gears
Stock my XJ came with 28s with 3.54 gears.
more teeth or less, and by how much????

------------------
86 XJ, 4.56 F/R, Procomp 3 inch lift w/ 31s and STUFF......

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember see a chart which showed what speedo drive gear should be used when a certain tire size and axle ratio is used. does anyone have this chart or link to this information?

------------------

·
Registered
47 Posts
I remember see a chart which showed what speedo drive gear should be used when a certain tire size and axle ratio is used. does anyone have this chart or link to this information?

------------------

·
Registered
397 Posts
I was hoping that someone would post one of those Java speedo calculators... thanks Cadex!

Basically, the percentage difference in tooth count between your gear and the one you need is the same as the percentage difference between your speedo reading and the correct speedo reading, for any given speed. The twist is, that if your speedo is reading too fast, you need more teeth. If it's reading low, you need less teeth.

Does that help?

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

1 - 8 of 8 Posts