BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally did it! I put spring over axle's in my Scout. I can't drive it yet cause of a few bugs to work out. But it does sit a little bit higher than my 4 inch lift. This set up is only temperary though I am putting Chevy 10 bolt axles under it soon (after the round up). So if anybody Knows what to do with the steering could you please let me know. I have heard that a box from a 76-82 toyota may work or to go rack and pinion (but which application?). Thanks for the help in advance!

------------------
1978 International Scout II 345 cid, auto, 4inch springs, 2inch shackle, 2inch body for now, Rear spring over and front shackle reversal and 36's to come

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Sounds cool, but umm.. are you sure about using a 10 bolt, doesn't that seem a little weak?

The best way to do the steering would probably be to use a 3/4 ton GM Dana 44 with the flat top knuckles and make a crossover steering setup with your existing steering box. The scout box has a great ratio for off-road use.

I think that you would trash rack and pinion pretty quickly and the bump steer from all of the articulation in a SOA with rack and pinion would probably be nasty.

If you use a fullsize 3/4 ton D44 up front, you can use the 14 bolt or D44/D60 from the same truck in the back and not have to buy new gears to match the diff's.

Also remember that GM axles are C-clip axles, if you frag a shaft you will have to do more work to change it.

Good luck.. Shawn

------------------
1979 IH Scout II, Yellow, 345, modifed 727, Rust.
"If they don't make it, I'll build it myself"

Axle breakage.. It's a Jeep thing.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I jnow full size would be better but the price is right for these 10 bolts as well as
I've been told that the 10 bolt front is the same as a 44 front just with different spindles. And thanks for the info I think I will go with the cross over steering.

------------------
1978 International Scout II 345 cid, auto, 4inch springs, 2inch shackle, 2inch body for now, Rear spring over and front shackle reversal and 36's to come

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Then again I think the stock gm steering may work!

------------------

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by dickrick:
I jnow full size would be better but the price is right for these 10 bolts as well as
I've been told that the 10 bolt front is the same as a 44 front just with different spindles. And thanks for the info I think I will go with the cross over steering.

10-bolt IS full-size!

Just need the '44 flat-top knuckles, a steering arm, and a custom draglink and a 10-bolt or '44 front from a Chevy bolts right in. Just a little grinding here n' there and some new brake lines.

Works GREAT, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts