BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be gettin an xj or a yj, thinkin about a spring-over on a yj...good or bad to do, on top of a say 6" susp lift.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Your crazzzzzzz

:eek: I have a 91 yj with a spring over and a 2 1/2 lift and 35 inch tires witch puts me at about 8 1/2 to 9 inches of lift and I think that is BIG enough. But that is only my .02c.

On th other hand I like my spring over It is an e-z way to do a lift without spending 1000,s of dollers on a lift.

thing,s to concider SYE a big help but not cheep
longer brake lines
bigger shocks
axel rap (was a big problem with mine)
transfercase drop ( watch your motor mounts)

Again just my .02, But like I said I like Mine:beer

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am not 100% sure but other then I believe the mono leaf and coil over. I do not believe there is a 6" kit for the yj. And if there were I would never include it with a SOA. Unless you plan on running the widest axle there is and you are running big meats. And the last part is it is trail only. Think about what size tire you want to run and then determine axle strenght. Have 8 feet of lift and big tires is useless if everytime you hit the gas it snaps an axle. Lift looks nice but too much lift is just silly [ on a jeep]

Jason :beer :beer :beer :beer

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Big Stu Dawg said:
Gonna be gettin an xj or a yj, thinkin about a spring-over on a yj...good or bad to do, on top of a say 6" susp lift.
Generally speaking a SOA on a YJ is the best all around suspension lift for your $$. I could run 99% of the trails out there with a SOA YJ 2-3" lift, 35-36" tires, and lockers.

Now a SOA YJ with 6" of suspension lift would probably allow you to run 44" tires. Four inches of lift will fit 38's comfortably. Over kill for pretty much everything IMO. Steering would be an ugly mess and you'd have to play with the trac width and wheelbase to get to feel stable on the trail.

I'll let Dan respond on the XJ stuff. All I know is they hold a lot of groceries :clown

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
AndrewH and Agent Scully are both running sprung over YJ's with 2" lift springs (could be 2.5", I can't remember). Andrew was running 37" tires but has since gone to 36" TSL/SX's (which are pretty much the biggest 36'ers you'll find) and Scully runs 37" MT/R's.

Hopefully that will put things into perspective.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Baby Joe said:
AndrewH and Agent Scully are both running sprung over YJ's with 2" lift springs (could be 2.5", I can't remember).

Actually, it's 3.5" lift springs on SOA, I'm waiting for the springs to sag a bit cause as of now, I think it's a bit too high even with the 37s, and yes, when you go this high, steering is a big headache.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
agent scully said:
Actually, it's 3.5" lift springs on SOA, I'm waiting for the springs to sag a bit cause as of now, I think it's a bit too high even with the 37s, and yes, when you go this high, steering is a big headache.
Is it STILL a big headache? I thought you had a high steer kit in it?

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
722 Posts
lars said:

Is it STILL a big headache? I thought you had a high steer kit in it?

...lars
Lars, the high steer bracket is now sitting in my hall way. I had to reorder the damn thing from Yasu after 4 weeks of no delivery from you know where, even got charged a restocking fee for something that never arrived. I wonder what they're restocking....
anyways, just waiting in on Andrew to pull his Jeep off the road and pass over his heims so I can install everything at once along with some new links which will be made by Clint at Serious Metal. If you remember Lars, this whole project started in June and it's still not finished yet and I have not wheeled it once this summer and the insurance runs out at the end of the month, that's what I meant by a real headache.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Sorry to hear about your headache, Agent Scully.

As for the original question (is 6" lift + SOA too much?), I would definitely say YES. Maybe with full-size axles it would be ok but you'd be looking at a trailer rig since it would get instantly busted for an MVI as soon as the cops saw it (unless it had that magical "Illusions" sticker on it which for some reason allows monster trucks to drive with impunity on the streets).

If you're going to run monstrous tires that require that much lift but you still want the rig to be good for rock crawling, I'd suggest doing some major surgery to the tub and front fenders to make room. And then lift only as much as is required to fit under the clearanced fenders.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
agent scully said:

just waiting in on Andrew to pull his Jeep off the road and pass over his heims so I can install everything at once
SURE BLAME ME !!!!!! anyway you should be able to get everything together pretty quick

lots of people wheel there jeeps even if there drag link touches the spring a little....hell i did.

·
Registered
722 Posts
agent scully said:

Lars, the high steer bracket is now sitting in my hall way. I had to reorder the damn thing from Yasu after 4 weeks of no delivery from you know where, even got charged a restocking fee for something that never arrived. I wonder what they're restocking....
anyways, just waiting in on Andrew to pull his Jeep off the road and pass over his heims so I can install everything at once along with some new links which will be made by Clint at Serious Metal. If you remember Lars, this whole project started in June and it's still not finished yet and I have not wheeled it once this summer and the insurance runs out at the end of the month, that's what I meant by a real headache.
Just to clear up if there's any confusions, I DID NOT have a bad experience with NSOR.
Thanks

·
Registered
591 Posts
cough cough get a chev stuey. if u want to go big. get a fullsize, from what these guys say, gettin to tall with a jeep just wont work. and we both know the only thing that jeep will see is the sand flats at stave, cuz me and u together are so poor we cant afford to break em on the trails. no BS!:D :D :D

thats ok. u can ride in my pavement princess gang. with our wannabe harley davidsons stickers in the window, and our "soft rock hits" on the radio.

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

too much :p

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Holy crap, 6" of lift and a springover? Depending on the springs you use and how tall your spring perches are that could be ten to twelve inches of lift on a Short Wheelbase!!!

If you want something that tall you wont be wanting to build an XJ, you'll never get it that high without serious redesign of the entire suspension.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts