BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if this combination is a disaster waiting to happen. I have been running my homemade revolvers on the back and have never been in any instances where their unrestrained droop would cause an endo or an offcamber section would create a rollover, but I am aware of the possibility.

I have made a set that I am considering putting on the front, and am having second thoughts.

I know that everyone is after more articulation, but is it too much with this setup? With them on I can ramp 1330, but is this safe articulation?

Should I just be happy with the factory shackles and predictable spring over?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wondering the same thing a while ago, so I went to the Pirate board and found lots of info on this set-up...almost everyone who ran it eventualy removed the revolvers due to the "scary" ride they were getting. Mostly due to the rear unloading on steep decents and side hills.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen TJs that can ramp 1300s and was wondering how stable these are. On some of them the coils come right off the seat. I would think that this is the same unrestrained flex as a revolver. Anyone with a super flexy TJ or a coil front suspension have any comments? or close calls due to too much flex?

·
Registered
102 Posts
seen some custom coil trucks that have had the coils unseat...
no biggie...you just push them back before they unflex.
on the road i'm sure there are traction and sway bars that must be reconnected.
also, these guys run rs9000's set on #5 from on road driving so there may be no need for a sway bar at all.
something else you might wanna check out...
teraflex sells something called a Z box...
it's a folding spring hanger...at droop it unfolds to look like a Z.
they don't have them lsited on thier site but if you do a google search you can find acouple pics.
looks to be easy enough to make

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by RYJAY:
seen some custom coil trucks that have had the coils unseat...
no biggie...you just push them back before they unflex.
Chris' point about mentioning the un-bolted coil springs is that in those setups, there is nothing to limit droop other than brake line and track bar/control arm binding. So, wouldn't a Revolver setup be no more capable of unloading than a typical TJ coil setup?

Obviously, the springs do work differently but I still don't know what the comparitive result would be.

My opinion is unloading the Revolvers shouldn't be that big a worry because you are only concerned with those situations where the mere weight of the axles/wheels are the difference between going over or not. IMO, this is a very narrow spectrum of risk.

I WILL be putting on my Revolvers before RC2002.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts