BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend looking at buying a 91 YJ 6-cyl/ 5-spd. The first thing he is going to want to do to it is a spring over and 31" tires. I know very little about jeeps(but more about general mechanics) and he know absolutely nothing about any vehicles. What exactly is involved in doing a spring over, and approximately what does it cost.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You need to weld perches to the top of your axle (I've heard most people use the RE spring over kit), then you have to compensate for the lift you're getting just the same as any normal lift, ie: longer CV driveshaft or T-Case lowering kit. I know I'm probably missing lots of stuff, but a spring over is usually a pretty expensive ordeal I think. Unless his springs are REALLY saggy, I would put bigger than 31's on there... might look funny. He'd fit 33's with no problems I'd think.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Cost depends on how well you want to do it. Assuming you do all the work yourselves (including welding), a basic SOA would cost about $600. That would include shims, shocks, extended brake lines, and a dropped pitman arm. Then add 14% for taxes.

Of course, now you need to address the drivetrain issues. You'll need to get the front shaft lengthened or buy a longer shaft and have it shortened: approx $200. You'll need a rear CV shaft and a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) kit: approx $700.

That'll be good enough for reliability. But to get rid of the bumpsteer...you'll need an expensive high steer kit for the D30. The bump steer isn't horrible but it's something that you should address and some point. Value-wise, I think it would be better to wait till you do a D44 or D60 swap and then bolt on some high steer arms and build your own HD tie rod and drag link using DOM tubing and 3/4 ton or 1 ton TREs.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
722 Posts
lars said:
But to get rid of the bumpsteer...you'll need an expensive high steer kit for the D30. The bump steer isn't horrible but it's something that you should address and some point. .

...lars
Lars is right, a high steer kit for a D30 is not cheap, I'm in the midst of installing mine right now, you'll definately need it if you're doing your SOA with lift springs, your drag link will come in contact with the right spring. So a high steer kit for a D30 will cost you just under a grand when it's all said and done.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch! and I thought a SOA would be an inexpensive thing to do. I'll let him know and see what he decides. Thanks for all the info everyone.

One onther question. are the stock axles strong engough for 33" tires for mild/moderate wheeling? or would he be asking for trouble?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Jarett said:
Ouch! and I thought a SOA would be an inexpensive thing to do.
A bad SOA is very affordable. It's the good ones that cost more. :D FWIW, he could everything 'cept the high steer first. And then do the high steer a few years down the road (that's what I did).

BTW, an SOA is affordable when you think about spring replacement. Stock YJ spring packs, even though they are in demand by Zuk and Toy owners, are still quite a bit cheaper than aftermarket lift spring packs. So when it comes time to refresh your springs, you will reap the benefits. Also, SOA is the only way to maximize the clearance under your axle tubes. And that added clearance makes more difference than you might think.

One onther question. are the stock axles strong engough for 33" tires for mild/moderate wheeling? or would he be asking for trouble?
I lasted for quite a while with 33's and a rear locker. Others haven't lasted with 31's and the Trac Loc limited slip. He's not guaranteed to break his rear axle BUT he should definitely carry spares and know how to change them. Basically, his risk of damage is higher than an average axle's. A light throttle foot and avoiding all axle bouncing will go a long ways to preventing damage.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
158 Posts
Doing SOA right the first time is still better and less expensive than a rough riding after market 5+" lift.

The Rubicon Express kit is complete except for the T-case slip yoke eliminator and re-working your drive shafts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts