Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is spring wrap?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

G

·
Spring wrap or axle wrap usually occurs in vehicles with the leaf springs mounted on the top of the axle. When you take off and accelerate hard the axle torques the leafs into an "s" shape producing wicked shaking and wheelspin followed by sudden traction as the leafs uncoil.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.hmoe.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it damage the springs or axel? Is it a bad problem?

p.s. I like the pic of your jeep
------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

[This message has been edited by OptBlackNite (edited September 09, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
does it damage the springs or axel? Is it a bad problem?

Most of the time it is just an annoyance. Sometimes it can cause you to lose traction on steep climbs. In really extreme cases the axle can turn enough to exceed your drive shaft u-joint's max angle and blow the joint.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
20 Posts
you can goto an offroad shop and pick up some equipment that stops spring wrap anddoes not interfear with articulation

------------------
northern extreme 4x4 club
79 5 quarter chev 4x4 w/custom dents in all the right places w/a 12000 lbs warn to back it out of tight places
ch 37

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by hydro:
yes, i believe what you do to prevent that from happening is thow in some ladder bars, am i correct?
That's one way. Stiffer springs, long spring perches, radius arms, half-springs...they will all help to reduce spring wrap.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.