BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 jeep tj. Went to stave for the mub run. Buried my jeep in mud. When I got pulled out. I noticed that I had a sqweak coming form the driver side front tire. First I thought it was mud stuck in or behind the brakes. So I went to the car wash and washed all of the big chunks of dirt off my jeep. Then I drove home and the squeak went away, but I blew the rear u-joint. Got rear u-joint fixed, and I thought that the squeak would be gone. Anyways the sqweak comes and goes, could it be the drivers side u-joint, cause thats were the sound comes from. So what do you guys think. U-joint or just a bunch of dirt that I forgot to wash out. If it is the u-joint how hard is it to take out and change.

·
Registered
102 Posts
if the u-joint was actually crapped out you'd notice it
it'd be real hard to turn
i'd say get in there with a grease gun
maybe you can save it

RJ

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
102 Posts
Take the wheels off and spray the NUTZ out of the brakes with brake cleaner...after they're cooled of course. Every time you mud you should clean that stuff up, take it all apart and clean it out. The pads last longer that way.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ive been stuck in 6 inches of mud before, while getting my self out I shot mud and dirt everywhere underneath. For about 6 hours of driving, my breaks where slow to stopping, I would stall from the various mud clogs. So I took the pressure washer on low and sprayed out everything underneath. Let it sit for a day to dry and then everything worked fine.

So most likely its mud, you need to clean it all out and like RYJAY said grease it all up good.

------------------
Blue 1981 CJ5 31" tires
*Damnit, anyone see where that door went?"
Mods? well I hold my muffler up with a coat hanger.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It could also be the CV joint in your front driveshaft. I know after a few watercrossings, mine would start squeling. Just squirt it with lithium grease or WD-40 and see if the noise goes away.

HTH

------------------
2000 Sahara
Teraflexified

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
check your wheel berings

------------------
94 zj, platnum +4 plugs, zenon lights, 2 inch custom lift 31x10.5, k&n,
Word.
Peace Out G,
Kraqa

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Heh, one of the many reasons I avoid mud.

Well, if you really want to eliminate that squeak, I recommend that you take the wheels and rotors off and clean everything up. You really can't get out all the mud unless you start removing pieces.

Your bearings are probably ok since your vehicle is fairly new and the bearings are sealed quite well (as opposed to the traditional hub designs). You might as well grease every nipple while you're at it, just for maintenance's sake.

My guess is that you've got crud somewhere in your brakes, perhaps btwn the rotor and dust shield.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the cv joint on the front driveshaft. Just take a needle grease tip and try to get grease in it..Just make sure to take the driveshaft out and work the grease in the joint. Its a pain but it gets rid of the noise.

------------------
www.s4wda.com

G

·
Pops has a grease gun n stuff just bring it over and we'll have a look at it. u-joints are only $26 at Gemini.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.