BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
stains were you up at 20 mile bay last year on may long weekend? were you the guy who dropped your driveshaft from pulling out that big dodge?

·
Registered
41 Posts
not my drive shaft,,,,,broke a tie rod end on a stump when pulling him

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift,3`` body, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 84 Regular Cab... not shure what Im doing with either. what ever I do will be k-k-krayzee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool..so that was you....That truck of yours looks awesome....i wouldn't mind building a truck like that....

Could you tell me what you got done to it..and how much would i be into to build something like yours??

have you have any problems with?
are you going up to 20 mile bay next year...talk to you later..

[This message has been edited by cobranos (edited December 31, 2001).]

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is what it has done to it...rebuilt 1990 351, threw away the fuel injection crap. put on a 1985 351HO intake and carb, tuned the carb for a bit more balls, put in a Points distributor (69-75 351 Car engine..different advance curve than truck 351) dual 2.5 or 2.75 exhaust exiting in front of rear tires......Engine should have about 320 - 340 horse,,,, not too much but more than enought than the 8.8, dana 44, and 150 frame can handle.....Swaped in a ZF-5 tranny from F 350, up graded clutch size to 11.5 or 12 `` (better than stock 10.5 or 11` but better feel than center force), Front clip from a 97 super duty. box from a 96 .....now for the suspension......my front leaf springs came from the rear of a 96 F 250 4x4 with the bottom 3 leaves removed.... a cross member from front frame horn to frame horn was bolted on with 10 1/2``fine thread grade 9 bolts...then spring hangars were made to set the springs at 32 `` center to center using 12 of the same bolts mentioned . the hangars are forwarded to pull the front axle 1 1/2`` forward of stock , the stock rear spring shackles are also slightly inboarded too ... I inboarded the springs for 3 reasons , bigger tires with less rub on the spring at full turn....with 40`` tires I have maximum steering angle that the u joint will alow and my tires just barely rub springs.....far greater wheel travel than I could get using the stock f 250 or 350 hangers and center pin width....and the last reason is pre 1980 ford solid axles were already set up for 32`` center pins... I built my own Cross over steering that so over kill but yet looks factory, and uses a Stock F 350 drag link... shock towers are 1/2 flat plate extending above the frame, and I unbolted the stock TTB shock mounts off tha radius arms and welded them to the top of the new axle... extended the brake lines by using the stock 88 flex lines bolted to the caliper with 18`` flexible rubber extensions thats from late 70`s ford trucks rear flex line, I used these lines front and back.....I used these flex lined because I hate Stainless lines they are weak, and I would need custom lines, Its stupid to have hard to find parts in the bush, ......now for the rear lift. A shackle flip.. 6 1/2 inch lift as it dropped the rear end of the spring 14``,,, and a 6 1/2`` lift block, the block is Tapered and is put in backwards of normal because the schacle flip turnes the pinion up too far, and with tall blocks it moves the axle about 2`` forward, puting the taper backwards and up top puts the axle back to only about 3/4`` froward....also I removed 4 leaves from the rear pack leaving in only the top 3.(only changed ride hight by about 1 1/4``es).....axle wrap would be retarded so I built some 60`` somthing long traction bars that also protect my drive shaft .......now after all this I end up with about..within 1/4`` i have 14`` lift in front and 11 3/4 in the rear....plus a 3`` body lift....the Good points of my set up is this (and what is important to the way I use my truck) Excelent ride, articulation,, My fabricated parts dont break but bought and manufactured parts do so....any part of my truck that breaks...is readlily avalible from any Auto wreacker or parts store....no hard to find 2 week back order parts .. the bad points are No weight carringing capacity,,,Id drives different with a full tank of gas...Im limited to about 300 pounds max in the box or it is crayze to drive. I can cary 2 bikes and gear but corners are nuts...Im using Rancho 5012 shocks with 13.5`` travel, that works out to be like 18-20`` of wheel travel, and I use it all up even on the road, gona upgrade to the new Pro comps ...supposedly 16`` travel.....Custom drive shaft front and rear, front needs to be a long travel set up. I have a long travel on now that I made but couldnt make long enough I need 9`` of usable travel, Ive only got a 7`` so ive got limiting straps til I get the 9``er....NOW to my problems....F 150 frames are garbage....I mean it just tinfoil....I get cracks all over, it twists,,,the weak frame is hard on the body,,,rad support cracks, box seams split..... oh yah also had to make a custom tranny x member to allow the drive shaft to droop....1/2 ton axles are weak too......broke 28 Dana 44 axles, busted 2 knuclkes off, a million hubs, t front housings, 1 tie rod, 2 front drive shafts, 2 zf trannys, 5 1356 transfer cases, 3 rear drive shafts, 2 rear axle shafts, split 1 rear carier in half, broke 1 rear leaf spring,, for got e brake on and busted the pin off, wheel cylender. shoes folded over,, and 3 front clips 2 boxes 2 clutches, 3 motors, 1 wiper motor.........thats it

------------------
White 88 Ford F 150, Long box, 96 Front clip,Carburated and Points ignition 302 Solid axle Front, 14`` Suspension lift,3`` body, 39.5 Swampers, 1179 RTI------ UNDER CONSTRUCTION 86 Ranger Extcab, 84 Regular Cab... not shure what Im doing with either. what ever I do will be k-k-krayzee

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well thats one hell of a list...are you going up to 20 mile bay next year?

If i was to build a f250 up like yours would you be able to help me with some of the parts?

how much do u figure you've put in to your truck..?

thanks again for all the help on ford 4x4s

talk to u later...

[This message has been edited by cobranos (edited January 03, 2002).]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Stains, if you're ever near Salmon Arm, call me. I've got a couple buddies right into Fords that would love your truck! You can get ahold of me at Hilltop Toyota. We are planning a big run for this spring and your truck sounds too cool to not be there. Later, Wade

------------------
if it ain't broke, you don't go hard enough!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts