BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 w/318 5-spd tends to stall when I push in the clutch at low rpm. Seems to only happen when crawling in low range,never in town. Also seems to idle quite low(500 rpm). Anyone else w/same problems?

------------------
97 ram 1500 swb.3" w/35"at. 4.56 w/rear detroit

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exact same thing, just doesn't happen that often. My RPM sits around 600 when it is warm as well, I'll ask around and see what I can do.

Does yours detonate on 87 octane?

------------------
98 Dakota

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah...I run at least 89 octane when its cheap enough otherwise ping city....still stalls. Runs better overall tho

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sometimes with these newer aluminium intakes, the intake gaskets fail, which may cause extra air to pass into combustion chamber, causing detonnation. The dealer told me that detonnation is very common with these motors and another way to fix it is to "flash" your computer. It is supposed to reprogram the spark and fuel curves, reducing "ping city".

Just a couple things ive learned about mine.

------------------
98 Dakota

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks for the info...one question..what's flashing the computer? If that means unplugging the battery I've done that before and it didn't change anything. The intake gaskets however are something I will check into.

------------------

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Flashing" the computer (according to the guy at freeway chrysler), is to reprogram the fuel curves, timing, auto trans shifting using a computer at their shop. You can only do it once, and it costs 50 bucks. I didn't get it done.

------------------
98 Dakota

[This message has been edited by joel2 (edited February 15, 2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts