BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The internet rocks! I have had on going problems with my starter and knew the contacts were shot. One article on another web page showed how easy it was to replace the contacts. This board pointed out that Lordco carries the contacts.

I just replaced my contacts (easy) and saved $50. Toyota wanted $24 a piece for the contacts (there are two) and I got both for $2.60 including tax! In case anyone else wants to try this here is the lordco number 45296521. The old girl starts great now. I had to clean the plunger and I cleaned/soldered my cable ends since I was there anyways.

------------------
Me Tarzan u ? Favorite tool?
Monkey wrench!
I am the original shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nothing feels better than fixing your own truck.
Saving money while doing something you enjoy is like getting paid to boot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem as well, I happen to work for toyota so I took it apart and one of the tech's took the contacts out and flipped them and it works great now.

------------------
84 4runner 4"susp, 3"body, 35"m/ts, header with flow master containing a few patches, a little duct tape here and there,cb, in need of motor and body work

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never thought of that but yeah you could swap them side to side and it would work. For $3 just carry a set in the old tool box.

------------------
Monkey wrench!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think I have the same problem as you
Would you please tell me the website were you read the article so I can do this too-Less money on that godd damm starter means more mod money!
Thanks Alot- Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio
-TRUCKS ARE MEANT TO BE RAISED NOT LOWERED-

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here you go - http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html

When you get a look at the contacts you will understand how swapping them could work if you are truly cheap. I spent about an hour replacing the contacts. Lordco stocks them here in White Rock. I only sanded/filed the plunger contact clean and the starter works perfect.

------------------
Monkey wrench!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sweet-Thanks alot Tarzan!
Hopefully this will fix my problem.
Brett

------------------
85 Yota- 33 inch Thornbirds,3 inch trailmaster susp lift, smittybuilt bush bar,roll bar,8 offroad lights,insane pioneer stereo with 2 JL-10 inch subs in custom box,K&N air,new engine and of course a good'ol CB radio

·
Registered
108 Posts
Tarzan-How did you get that rubber boot back over the contact screw-Did you have to loosen it off or what?-I cant get it back over and my truck now won't start.
Thanks again-Brett

------------------

·
Registered
108 Posts
No worry's Tarzan I just fooled around with it for a bit and finally got it to turn over fine-Musta just needed to be played with a bit.
Thanks for all the help and the site.
Brett

------------------

·
Registered
786 Posts
I ended up buying the contacts at the dealer for my girlfriends 4runner. Lordco and T&T both told me they couldnt help me....

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow, I just realized how big of a thread bump this is!! Jeeze.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts