BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by supersportsedan:
What's the best way to remove a starter from an 89 4runner with 22re and IFS?

Once my friend asked a mechanic that becuase he wasn't sure... the mechanic said to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the engine up enough to clear the starter. Then my friend asked me and I said "why don't you just take the oil filter off???!!!!"... Just take the oil filter off.. that's the easiest way. Hell of a lot easier than jacking up the entire engine!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You don't actually need to take the oil filter off if you don't want to. As long as you take off that right front tire and that little access plate in the well, you should be able to squeeeeeze your arms in there and unbolt it. Will need some extensions though, that's for sure

------------------
88 4runner, 22RE, stock and slow for now...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by supersportsedan:
you know terry, that's a really good suggestion. how about you help me whip it out this weekend...

Who is this?? Paul??? is that you? Freeeeeeakkkkk!!! If it's you I'll give you a hand... just give me a ring!

[This message has been edited by caltow (edited January 14, 2002).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, just remove the wheel, & access plate.
Theres only one nut on a stud, and one bolt to pull, and it drops right out.

I'm pretty sure you'll need a 14mm socket for them, but keep a 12mm, 13mm and 15mm handy in case I'm wrong

A 9" (or 6" + 3") extension will make it A LOT easier to unbolt it.....

While you're up there, it might be a good time to replace the fuel filter if it hasnt been done in a while, since you have to remove the starter to get it out.....

But that could be an adventure all its OWN
....Trust me!

------------------
Art
80 Hilux- 20/22R hybrid, Dual Mikuni's, R151 Trans, BudBuilt X-member, 4.56's w/rear Lockrite, 3" NWOR lift (yuch!), 33x9.5 Buckshots

[This message has been edited by Cracker (edited January 15, 2002).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
with the ifs and other hoses and lines in the way, unbolting the starter is still quite hard, even though it can be done with a pivot head ratchet... getting unbolted is the least of my worries. it's getting it OUT that's the problem. There's not enough space to pull it out in an 89 runner. Me and my buddy tried squeezing one in there just to see if it would fit, and no dice.
I really like the idea of the access panel in the inner fender well though... I was looking at that today, and it looks promising.... thanks!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I pulled it out in about 5 minutes no problem without disconnecting any line or taking tires off, wasn't that hard at all

------------------
Yota Anyone?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts