BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a 1977 F250 with 460 the starter would spin but wouldnt mesh with the ring gear sometimes..But would always start after a couple spins...

So went to Lordco got a new starter & exact same problem but this time wont ccatch @ all..brought it back thinkin their starter was defective..Got another, same thing thought maybe lordco guy got the wrong starter ford came out with 2 different starters for my truck in 77..So tried the different starter same thing wouldnt mesh with ringgear.. So long story short just got pissed off stuck my old starter back in & now it wont mesh up either..
So obviously the ringgear is worn out or something..!? :shakehead: But when looking @ it theres no teeth missing there is a bit of scarring from the starter but nothing broken or that looks like a major problem..

Any ideas to try..?
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Did your truck come stock with a 460? Or was it swapped in? If it was swapped in you probably have to match up the ring gear with a starter bendix with the right amount of teeth. It is wierd that it worked for you up until now. Maybe it was just catching enough of the ring gear to spin it over.

·
Registered
945 Posts
check the ring gear....You can have missing teeth and that is usually at the spot where the motor tends to stop when shut down. You can replace the ring gear the only problem is you have to pull the motor or trans to do it.

Pull the plugs and turn the motor over with a wrench looking for bad spots on the ring gear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried all the above turned ringgear can't see any teeth missing there is obviously a bit or burring on the teeth but nothing major at all,the truck came with the 460 stock. I can't move the starter at all when it's tightened down. Pissing me off like no tomorrow !!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep starter kicks out just fine we bench tested it already I'm stumped thanks for your suggestions guys !

·
Registered
945 Posts
Shims? Not sure how it bolts on, but some starters need shims to clear the ring gear. To tight and the gears jam and no turn. Starter rebuilder should have shims for it (not sure how the starter bolts to the bell housing on 460.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Gm's are famous for using shims...ford knew better than that. Does the engine turn over slowly or struggles to start when it did??

kinda thinking you might have a warped flywheel have a look at there

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No shims nope
No once the starter meshed with flywheel it fired right up no struggles @ all..
I didnt monkey with it today its pissin me off too much..lol
Thanks Guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.