BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting either a Land Cruiser, 4Runner, or Pick-up. I know most of what to look for, but I was just wondering what I would need to do (and spend) to get it from stock to trail ready.

I don't really want to go all out, maily just exploring some trails. I was thinking 31" or 32" tires. Can anyone suggest some options (and their cost)?

I was thinking of spending $2-3,000...but I might be able to squeeze out $4,000 if I need.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by Goof:
I'm looking at getting either a Land Cruiser, 4Runner, or Pick-up. I know most of what to look for, but I was just wondering what I would need to do (and spend) to get it from stock to trail ready.

I don't really want to go all out, maily just exploring some trails. I was thinking 31" or 32" tires. Can anyone suggest some options (and their cost)?

I was thinking of spending $2-3,000...but I might be able to squeeze out $4,000 if I need.
The nice thing about Toys is they are pretty darn trail ready to begin with. Get some descent 31's, a Hi-Lift jack, and some sort of decent winching device like a Turfer jack. The rest will come together in time, because if your an avid wheeler you probably wont be able to keep from tearing it apart and modifying it.

·
1,269 Posts
Hi-lift, shovel, recovery strap, come-along. As for the truck itself, get some BFG AT KO's or the like and it'll do fine. If you want to do some mild wheeling and want your truck to be pretty capable throw a cheap locker in the rear. Remember, the most important factor in having your truck trail ready is making sure it's mechanically sound and won't break on you out in the bush.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts

For your modest needs, the pick-up would be your best bet. Cheap, good abundance of spare parts (at least compared to the 'Cruisers) and widely available.

I'm not familiar with lift requirements although I would assume 31" tires would fit without a problem. Equip it with some mud tires and some recovery equipment (shovel, Jackall, chains, tree-saver strap, wide base for the jack, and perhaps a Jackmate) and you'll be set. For an additional $500 or so you can install a Lockright to really boost the off-road performance.

We just picked up a BC4x4 project Toyota - it's an IFS (I think '87) with a badly rusted box and the motor is a 22R in need of a head gasket. The motor was sitting in the back of the truck...it was basically someone else's project. Anyway, it cost $1000. The fenders/cab are in good condition, as is the interior.

If we had a total budget of $3000, and assuming the motor will last for a few years (it's got around 225,000km on it), we could easy build a very capable off-road vehicle:
4 x 31" mud tires: $700
home-made box: $300 (just guessing at the materials cost)
rear Lockright: $500 (guesstimate)
Jackall, chains, strap, etc: $200
home-made front/rear bumpers with recovery points: $200

That would add up to $2900.

Of course, we want to put in a solid front axle...so add another $1000 (assuming you do it yourself).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by Greg:
Hurray! Lars got a Toyota!!

Well, technically, the Wilmonkey has the Toyota. That's right, he'll be fourwheeling again.

I hope it won't be too heart-breaking when he has to part with his VW Jetta Diesel (in case you're confused, we _both_ bought older Jetta Diesels).

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
1,269 Posts
I've seen Wil's diesel Jetta and I have to say I don't think he'll exactly be looking back with tears in his eyes when he hops into the Toy.

------------------
"You bobbed it how many inches? NINETEEN?!?! Oh my..."

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think you should find an FJ40.
Try to get one from 75 and up with the 2F and 4-speed.
If you got even more cash , get a BJ with a 3B diesel.
I think these are one of the most overbuilt trucks to ever leave any factory.
But I'm biased on this subject, since I've owned a few.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1 inch body lift, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, SM420, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like I'll be picking up myself a pick-up. I think it will do everything I want it to do. It will be great for starting out, and can be done out over time until it is my dream truck (not that it will ever be done).

But I second Lars' questions...what is a turfer jack? Would I be better to get a hi-lift jack and a come-along...or a winch? I'm thinking I would be better to get a hi-lift jack and a come along, and use the money saved for a cheap locker. The truck will be parked near Stave, and never go very far from there...so street maners arn't really a problem. I might even go with a spool.

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
33" tires with no lift? They must have been rubbing a lot.

How big can I go without any problems? Can I throw on a 32" with the aid of a hammer and still not have problems?

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If only I had my truck now...NSOR has lock-rites for $400! (normally $600). Sickness...

------------------
Goof
------------------
Hot Wheels Safari Hummer

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by lars:
What's that?

...lars

One of those Swing Stage come-alongs with the long cable and the piece of pipe type of handle. There was one for sale in the general section a while back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
$400 IS A GOOD DEAL FOE A LOCKRITE
I HAD ONE IN MY RANGER AND PAID THAT IN THE USA
THE ONLY PROBLAM IS THEY ARE VERY NOISY
AND I MEAN NOISY
THEY ALSO GIVE HUGE NOISE AND AND QUITE A
THUMP AFTER GOING AROUND CORNERS
I REPLACED MINE 3 TIMES
UNDER WARRENTY

·
Registered
389 Posts
depends on what your gonna do .but go desial worth it
cheeper on fuel too

------------------
"4x4s eat MORE BUSH!!!"

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by bravenight:
depends on what your gonna do .but go desial worth it
cheeper on fuel too
My truck is rarely going to be around Gas Stations with desial, so that's not the best idea. It's going to be parked 5 (or less) mins fro Stave and won't venture very far for a while. I also want to do most of the work myself...how are desial engines to work on? I know they are a lot more reliable (when they work).

------------------
Goof

My truck? Ya, um, right...can I have yours?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts