BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an 86 bronco II and the other day i went to start it and it would not stop trying to start! It was reving very high and the starter kept going. I took he keys out but it did not stop so i poped the hook and took off the positive on the battery. Now every time i put the postive on the battery it does the same thing with NO keys in it! I checked with a mechanic and he says the seloniod might be stuck but i have replaced that thing twice in one month!

Anyone know what i can do???

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Sounds like the solenoid to me. . . You should 3 wires on the solenoid -- the main power going to the solenoid (I will refer to this as wire A attached to terminal A), You then have the main wire going to the starter (wire B/terminal B), and the small wire from the wiring harness (ultimately from the ignition switch) to the solenoid (wire C/Terminal C). To test: 1. Disconnect wire B. Attach a volt meter (or 12v light bulb) between terminal B and ground. Connect the your battery cable. Based on your description, you will have a voltage reading at terminal B -- indicating the solenoid is engaged and trying to start the engine. Disconnect wire C. If the solenoid is 'bad', the light (voltage reading on terminal B) will still be on. If the light turns off, the ignition switch (or other wiring in the harness) is bad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You need a new starter. The same thign happened on my brothers 89 f150. We jumped out and disconected it. Needed a new starter. thats why my cousins at the shop said. so time for a new starter.

------------------
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT OUT

·
Registered
182 Posts
Before you go out and replace the stupid starter replace the simple and cheap part(the solenoid). I had them go on my trucks several times and they usually just stop working but occasionally they will fuse the contacts inside themself together. This happened to me on an International bucket truck an before I could do any thing the starter was cooked .When it happened on my Bronco I was abbly to cut the positive lead from the battery (thanks to all the mechanics
that ran over with wire cutters),but when the lead was reattached the starter would turn over and keep going. It was determined that the starter solenoid was faulty and once I replaced with the spair on that I always carry in my truck all was fine.

------------------
77 F250 w/35 BFG MT
88 Bronco Eddie Bauer w31 Big O MT's

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have replaced the damn solenoid twice this month for different reasons so i hope the third time will work!

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited May 25, 2001).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Originally posted by Brent:
I got an 86 bronco II and the other day i went to start it and it would not stop trying to start! It was reving very high and the starter kept going. I took he keys out but it did not stop so i poped the hook and took off the positive on the battery. Now every time i put the postive on the battery it does the same thing with NO keys in it! I checked with a mechanic and he says the seloniod might be stuck but i have replaced that thing twice in one month!

Anyone know what i can do???
try replacing the seloniod on the starter not the one one the fender, It could also be your ignition switch I had to take mine out and clean the switch inside to make it stop when it happened to me. Good luck .
Terry

------------------
92 ranger 33"tires 456 gears
5"lift

·
Registered
53 Posts
try a different supplier for the solenoid.
the 86 BII only has the fender mounted solenoid so the only things it could be is the solenoid or ignition switch sticking

------------------
79 Bronco 33" 3.50,351M-300 soon

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the solenoid and it seems to be working now but u never know what tommorow will bring. Thanks Guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts