BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you take off your starter? is it the 2 inverted bolt pointing down? i think there torx bolts?

I'm having problemas with my starter, whenever i turn the key the starter goes but the motor doesn't turn over for like 15 seconds then it goes. I'm hopeing it's just dirt in it and i have to clean and re-grease it!

thanks
Graham

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Graham said:
how do you take off your starter? is it the 2 inverted bolt pointing down? i think there torx bolts?

I'm having problemas with my starter, whenever i turn the key the starter goes but the motor doesn't turn over for like 15 seconds then it goes. I'm hopeing it's just dirt in it and i have to clean and re-grease it!
What kind of Jeep is it??

With my YJ, there are only two hex bolts. No torx or Allen head bolts. Neither of those bolts point downward. They run horizontal. I've never seen a starter with mounting bolts that point downward.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If it's a '91 YJ, then there are the two bolts like I mentioned. One threads in from the back, the other from the front. Both go through the passenger-side "ear" on the back of the block to which the bellhousing attaches.

Make sure you disconnect your battery first, since it is very easy to short circuit across the starter posts.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
129 Posts
Some jeeps used the inverted torx bolts to mount the starter.
They do go in vertically from the ground upwards. If you have a wobble extention it will save you from removing another bolt that is in the way of the inner starter bolt.
P.S. these inverted torx bolts strip easilly, procede with caution.
;)

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
MuddyJeep said:
Some jeeps used the inverted torx bolts to mount the starter.
They do go in vertically from the ground upwards. If you have a wobble extention it will save you from removing another bolt that is in the way of the inner starter bolt.
P.S. these inverted torx bolts strip easilly, procede with caution.
;)
I stand corrected! I'd sure like to have a look at this. Is it a 2.5L or a 4.0L??

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
MuddyJeep said:
...Lars
I really admire your love for Jeeps Jeeps and more Jeeps. Is Project YJ your first Jeep?
2nd. I had an XJ before it but never 'wheeled it.

I like all 4x4s, really. It's just that, having a Jeep, I tend to collect more Jeep info than any other kind.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.