BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an 86 yota it dosent start once and awhile when it dosent start there is no response from the engine at all but the dash lights come on and the battery is new the starter is new but the battery has leaked but only once could that be a sign of over charging and has new ground cables anyone no whats going on

·
Registered
176 Posts
Seems very obvious, but if the battery terminals have a poor connection it will have intermittent starting problems. If it's been leaking acid for a while it may have corroded between the battery posts and the terminals. Clean up the connection, tighten it back together and put a light layer of vaseline around to protect it.

If it clicks but won't start, there's a common starter contact repair that may fix it:
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/starter/

·
rhino hunter
383 Posts
the ignition switches in these things are notorious for going bad have it checked.i'm not sure about 86 but 85 didnt use a starter relay.you can get one from painless wirng about 50 bucks and its easy to install.i did mine in about 45 minutes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.