BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have another question. What to do when a steering column gets sloppy? The steering U joint is OK, but where the thin part of the column enters the housing (under the hood, near the firewall, right by the master cylinder), there is play. If I hold the shaft, I can get it to move in the housing. I can feel this when I drive, on road over amn holes, etc, and obviously off road over almost everything.
Are ther bearings inside that could be toast? Are they bushings? I want to fix this myself but I really am not sure what the real problem is. Any help or experience you have here would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
898 Posts
One way to fix it would be to just replace the steering column. I have a couple of non-tilt-steering columns out back... $50 each?

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good option, and 50$ is fine by me. But, how hard is it to swap out a steering column? What is your spare one off?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by bikeguy:
That sounds like a good option, and 50$ is fine by me. But, how hard is it to swap out a steering column? What is your spare one off?
83-88 are the same, and 89-94 at least are the same, not sure about newer than that. 89+ have a larger tube, and make great EB donors :) I happen to have one from my parts truck, since I'm using an old style tilt model currently.
Erik

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a difficult part to swap out? I am interested in fixing this, its driving me crazy.

·
Registered
898 Posts
how hard is it to swap out a steering column? What is your spare one off?
Both in 83 Ranger cabs. I'll pull one tomorrow evening and let ya know how tough it is

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Following in the footprints of BC's history
4,911 Posts
soooo Jon, you pulled my mirrors yet?
i mounted my antenna on the front of the box this afternoon, and gets better reception... i won't be able to grab them this week since I leave for Fresno tomorrow (Wed.), but i should be back on Sunday. I'll stop by sometime early next week...

talk to you then.

------------------
Formerly "Ranger Nut"...
'87 Ranger prerunner.. now sits lonely in a truck yard for weeks on end...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Is it a difficult part to swap out? I am interested in fixing this, its driving me crazy.
pretty easy to do, just a few 10mm bolts and some screws on the plastic and controls. I don't think 83 is a perfect bolt in, they have a much smaller diameter outer tube. A lot easier with the dash out, but you will probably have to remove the instrument cluster at least.

------------------

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Do you have one from a year closer to my 1990?
yes, I have a 90, but check with Blue Coyote first to se if he can help you out, since he was first to offer. you might be able to bolt the early one in, but they don't look anyhting alike. If he doesn't have what you need, you can have this one for the same $50.
Erik

------------------

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Blue Coyote!!???? Do you have what I need? Otherwise, I am interested in Cpt. Air Times '90 column.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hello Blue Coyote!!???? Do you have what I need? Otherwise, I am interested in Cpt. Air Times '90 column.
Any luck?

------------------

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm here, just been pretty busy...

Its out and ready to go. Probably take about an hour to swap it in for ya.

Give me a call at 435-3129 and we can set it up...

Sorry it took me a while.

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Blue Coyote,

Thanks for your help here. I just want to check with my shop to make sure that part will fit alright. They are back from holidays on Oct. 1. I'll be in touch on this bb a day or two after that.

Thanks again,
Corey

·
Registered
898 Posts
Okay, or just email me...

------------------
Blue coyote
"Broncenstein" is:
chopped 84 BII
(early model Navigator)
6" lift, 32's
4.10's w. rear l/s

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Blue Coyote...
I have learned that I need a column from an 89-94 Ranger for a direct swap, so I'm afraid yours won't work. However, I really appreciate your effort to try to help me out, Thanks a lot!!

So, If Cpt. Airtime is out there, I would like to buy that '90 column from you. COuld you let me know if you still have it??

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hello Blue Coyote...
I have learned that I need a column from an 89-94 Ranger for a direct swap, so I'm afraid yours won't work. However, I really appreciate your effort to try to help me out, Thanks a lot!!

So, If Cpt. Airtime is out there, I would like to buy that '90 column from you. COuld you let me know if you still have it??
It's here waiting for you...
Erik
leave me a message @ 585-3804

------------------

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ahhhh,
The mighty Ranger is fixed. The lower bearing on the column was blown apart. Slapped the new one in from Air Time and she drives like a Caddy.
Thanks Guys.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts