BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know what chevy knuckle will fit on my dana44 in a early bronco that has the 3 holes drilled on the top of it. i need the passenger side knuckle to make some sort of cross-over steering. what year/model if any. thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Knuckles from mid-70's Blazers have the knuckle you're looking for, as do some full-size Jeeps from the same era.

It's very unlikely you'll find a passenger-side knuckle with the holes drilled from the factory, though it happens occasionally. Usually they're undrilled, because the GM steering arm is on the driver's side.

Any decent machine shop should be able to mill the top flat and drill/tap the holes for you. They're fine-thread 9/16".

Have fun,
Chris (doing the same project)

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
134 Posts
Get a set of Scout 44 disc brake knuckles. Do the Cheve disc brake setup. YOu will need to re-drill the spindles but's its easy, two of the 8 Scout spindle holes already line up. Use an F150 tie rod and re-taper the knuckles on top. Your tie rod will then be at the TOP of your 44 diff section. The Scout conversion is the way to go on the EB. Other than a little work the only very minor problem will be if your using the 1 3/16" u-joints and weld the caps. You need to grind just a little off the top of the u-joint cap weld to get them to fit into the knuckle. Or just weld two places and leave the radius of the yolk area clear. You will also need to get the F150 tie rod shortened and re-threaded. FORGOT SOMETHING IMPORTANT....The EB 44 knuckles are only about 1" shorter than the Scout ones. If you just re-taper the top and use the F150 tie rod your going to have a tie rod thats almost totally out of the way. I can scroung some pictures of the Scout, EB and F150 knuckles side by side if you want.
------------------
Professional Cheese Taster with the ability to satisfy many fine women at the same time----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

[This message has been edited by FearMe (edited January 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Has anybody thought about steering arm length and ackerman angles. Things go wacky when you use steering knuckles meant for a long box pickup on a shortbox.

Dan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts