BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get two Steering knuckle oil seal sub assembly kits for my frame-up restore, Toyota wants 40.25 for each side, lordco says they dont carry em' They're the two mettal half circle's the rubber seal and the felt seal that keep the oil from falling out the back side of the steering knuckle. Where can I find em for cheaper or am I stuck goin to the dealer?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry posted then reread your post, try the wreckers.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

[This message has been edited by MEK (edited January 26, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If you have oil dripping out you will need the inner axle seals as well.
If you need the inner axle seals you most likely need the knuckle bearings, when these wear the axle no longer sits perfectly in the middle of the seal, the seal wears down and leaks.
It's not a big job, just greasy.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Randy's Ring and pinion sells a complete rebuild kit which includes all, and i mean all the seal(hub seals, inner bearing, etc)as well as the king pin bearings etc. the kit is $200, might as well do it all if you got it apart and your taking the time to do a frame-up.

·
1,269 Posts
I've often found that Lordco has different names for alot of seals and things, and that their staff aren't too aware of this fact.

------------------
'86 Toyscrota, currently in too many parts to count.
"Pushing the limits of duct tape and zap straps every day."

·
Registered
138 Posts
Been there, done that. I had to get all the stuff at the dealer. It all costed me about 160 bucks, the bearings, spacers and the seals. I did the work myself of course because they wanted something like 900 bucks to do the job. Have fun with it though, get ready to get really dirty!!

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Just so you know those kits from Randy's and Allpro do not come with the metal retainer rings you are looking for.

Mike.

------------------
85 Flat deck toyota, chevy's, new frame, for sale.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought the bearing originally from Lordco for like 25 bucks, I went to install it and it didn't fit, it actually didn't even come close. So, I returned it and I didn't bother to try another one. I just went to Toyota, it's the exact fitting and there is no screwing around, it was only like 5 bucks more and you are getting the job done properly.

------------------
'85 4runner, 6' suspension lift and 35' mudders (my baby)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The inner seals have already been replaced as well as pretty much everything else. Inner bearings are 25$ list at lordco, i get 30% off, yay for me. I dont know how much the race's are, i didnt need em.

Guess i'm stuck goin to toyota.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If the seals are leaking, you will have to replace them again.
It is very important to install new bearings with matching races, the race gets little dents pounded in it from the knuckle bearings. Not replacing the races defeats the whole procedure. These bearings hold the axle in the center of the seal.
It's also important to check the pre-load on the bearings after installing them, before you put the felt and seal on the ball.
I have seen guys replace the inner seals again and again. All they really needed to do was to do it properly and it will last another 100 000km's.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yup, you need a spring scale.
And if your running larger tires, set the preload slightly higher.
I'm running 35' and have about 8 lbs of preload, stock is about 3 to 5.

------------------

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by Toytrx:
I need to get two Steering knuckle oil seal sub assembly kits for my frame-up restore, Toyota wants 40.25 for each side, lordco says they dont carry em' They're the two mettal half circle's the rubber seal and the felt seal that keep the oil from falling out the back side of the steering knuckle. Where can I find em for cheaper or am I stuck goin to the dealer?
The dealer is probably your only option.I payed $45 per side for my closed knuckle D44 in my International.I had to get those ones from Ford.Im glad to see theres still people who replace things like these.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im doing this project in my machinics class there are NO aftermarket seals avable for the steering knuckles, you will need to go to the dealer and pick up the stock ones about 35 a side. gresse but ahhh dosent matter. do it right do it once! lol Learned that one

------------------
1983 yota bondo job 6'trail master lift, short box, lotsa lights, good frame! 35" dunlops...want 33' muds

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You can get aftermarket parts at a lot of places.
A fellow who lives not far from me sells the entire kits, including felts, wiper rings, knuckle bearings ect, and inner seals for $125.
Thats for the front axle, both sides.
I used to buy kits from MAF but I'll get them from him now.

------------------

1 - 16 of 16 Posts