BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Super gay steering problem

Ok, this is really gay and it's wearing out my tires like crazy (I allready blew one because my jks disconnects punctured the sidewall)

Aside from new wheels with bigger backspacing, I can't help but ask how can I adjust how far the tires turn? They are rubbing on all the suspension hardware. With my sway bar connected, they rub on the sway bar itself, with them disconnected, they rub on the disconnects or the bar, and with the sway bar off, they rub on the leafs. How the hell do I fix this? I've learnt to not crank the wheel all the way, but on the rocks I tend to forget. If I blow another tire I'll be running 31's up front and 32's in the rear (2wd of course) untill I get my new tires in.

Does anyone have pictures of the locks mentioned in http://bc4x4.com/faqs/yj.cfm?cat=9 ? I really didn't want to work on the jeep in the rain today, but since I have to anyways (brake job) I may as well fix this (major) problem. This has to be common.

p.s. - stock 30 and steering

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
The bolts you need to adjust are on the back of the knuckle, on the rearward side. Just crawl under your Jeep (btwn the front/rear axle) and look at either of the knuckles. There will be one bolt on each, that threads into a nut that is tacked to the knuckle. Spray lots of penetrating fluid on it, let it sit, and then loosen them as required. You might want to get a nut to use as a set nut to keep the bolt tight. Note: you cannot loosen the existing nut since it is welded to the knuckle!

You don't need a photo to find it. It is the only bolt on the knuckle that will collide with the axle tube's yoke when the wheels are turned all the way over.

Hmm...now I'm not sure if the bolt is on the forward side or rearward side of the knuckle. In any case, you'll see it.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Steering problem

lars said:
Spray lots of penetrating fluid on it, let it sit, and then loosen them as required. .....~..... Note: you cannot loosen the existing nut since it is welded to the knuckle!
You want me to loosen a nut that I cannot loosen?

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Steering problem

Rude said:

You want me to loosen a nut that I cannot loosen?
I want you to loosen the BOLT!! The nut can't be loosened (as you have gleaned from my post).

Yes, Jon, I've got two loose nuts, actually. :mullet

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allright, I found it, soaked it, and tried to loosen it (no luck yet). I was at napa so I grabbed a couple of longer ones if needed. It started raining and got dark so I'll continue trying tomorrow before I head north.

Oh yah, it's on the front of mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts