BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my yota has an excessive amount of play in the steering wheel. the fluid level for the power steering is at the correct level also. i have a three inch body lift and more like a 1.5-2" suspension lift now. why wont my steering wheel re-center itself and why is there so much free play? any one ever had a similar problem? my yota is an 81.

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
jack up one of the front wheels, grab the front and back of the tire, try to push and pull(turn tire to the left and the right) if your balljoints are bad you should be able to feel a clunk or when you put your hand cupping over the offending balljoint you should feel movement. hope this helps. as for the return to center i belive that the toe-in is responsible for that, hows your allignment?

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no idea how my alignment is...maybe thats the problem. i dont think its the ball joints because i pretty much did that test you just described the other day when i was pulling leafs out. i dont remember any clunks, but maybe i should check again. how much are new balljoints? should i buy them new or used if theyre blown?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I am having similar problems in my jeep. I have tried pushing/pulling on the tires, not it. and its not the stearing wheel to the power stearing pump part. its like there is a delay between when I move the wheel and the power stearing pump moves the stearing assembly. Any sugestions?

------------------
BIG ASS black/chromed YJ, 11" lift 35" tires, 400hp corvett engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts