BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got myself a 87 Zuki running 31" tires. The thing is near impossible to turn when not moving. What are my cheapest options for helping out it's steering? I'm guessing adding power-steering from a Sidekick or Hysteer are my two options.

Any option options?
How much do both cost?
Can hysteer be done on a vehicle without a SPOA?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Free workout! A few summers of wheelin' and you'll be like Popeye!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much does a power steering upgrade cost? Ya, I'm a wuss and don't want to deal with "working out". The noises when you try to turn also arn't all that pretty...gotta love the nice "creeeeeeck"...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Goof said:
How much does a power steering upgrade cost? Ya, I'm a wuss and don't want to deal with "working out". The noises when you try to turn also arn't all that pretty...gotta love the nice "creeeeeeck"...
Something's wrong with your truck... I can one finger steer with my breeze zlink on 31's.

You sure you're not rubbing on the front bumper mounting tabs? Get a Hayne's manual (the library has 'em if you don't wanna buy one) and check the "pre-load" on the steering box - it may be set way too high. With 31's the backspacing on the wheels shouldn't be an issue, but check to make sure you're not rubbing on the springs. Increasing tire pressure will also help.

David

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't have a zlink...so that could be a problem.

What is the best brand of manual for a Sami? Hanes? Chilton?

·
webwheeling...
1,475 Posts
agreed

David,
Man you must been one big monkey or have your tires at 40 psi to one finger steer while stopped (maybe it's the 'little' tires). :D

Goof,
David's right though, there is something wrong with your truck. I would also check on the condition of your ball joints, especially if you don't have some kind of steering correction (dropped pitman, zlink or cross over). Although I ran with no steering correction for a long time, I would recommend getting that sorted out rather than the PS upgrade. If your do PS without good steering geometry you're asking for way more trouble. BTW PS shouldn't cost that much but it depends on how much work you can do yourself. Lane Smith (on this bb) just finished his PS upgrade so you could e-mail him and ask those types of questions.

31's without SPOA? I didn't think that existed any more...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Re: agreed

Shogunator said:
David,
Man you must been one big monkey or have your tires at 40 psi to one finger steer while stopped (maybe it's the 'little' tires). :D
hehehe... i might have been exaggerating a wee bit. But in all seriousness the thing is easy as hell to steer with the "dinky" 31's. I remember trying to drive without steering correction - I went around the block or something - I don't remember it being difficult, I just remember it being hideously unsafe and unpredictable. Six (?) months ago Alpi's had a lifted samurai on the lot - you may be able to scrounge a Zlink or dropped pitman from them if the truck is still there.

Just a minor point I forget to mention... you should really avoid turning your tires when the vehicle is not moving (on any vehicle). It causes undue stress on this system. It's not neccesarily "bad", but it's not good either.

David

·
Registered
387 Posts
if you have no steering up grade and u have a soa, take a look at your steering arms, my guess is that it is rubbing on the leaf, mine did that and it was not easy to turn!! (maybe because i was running 34's??) but really at least get a drop pitman arm 120 bucks and you are safe and if that does not fix your problem them you have other problems, i have a drop pitman arm on 31's soa and my rig is not hard to turn at all!
hope that helps

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They seem to be turning better now. Think it just needed to be broken it.

No SOA, so there is no rubbing or anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts