BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have that nasty vibration.
The skid plate has been cut away and the front drive shaft spins freely.
If i stick it in 4 high with the hubs unlocked it drives fine.
If I lock 1 hub it dives fine.
When i lock both hubs in 2 or 4 wheel drive the jeep vibrates like a super charged female toy.
Anyone have any ideas.

------------------
This 4x4 thing is starting to take away from my beer fund.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah for those that dont know my jeep there are early bronco axles under a 92 yj with 2.5 lift springs and soa.
The front is a d44.
Hope that info helps.

------------------

·
Registered
145 Posts
Originally posted by N8:
Oh yeah for those that dont know my jeep there are early bronco axles under a 92 yj with 2.5 lift springs and soa.
The front is a d44.
Hope that info helps.

n8,

give me a email or a call. you can bring it down to my work, while i'm working, put it up a hoist and we'll check it. won't cost you a thing. have a idea what it could be. have had similar problems like this before.

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
102 Posts
quite confusing....
doesn't seem to be a real pattern
i'm interested in what you think it might be...

just a shot in the dark...
but maybe you have a wheel out of round..
and you can't feel it unless it's completely locked in
i dunnno
worth a try

I hate vibrations

------------------
1992 YJ with 33's

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
give me a email or a call. you can bring it down to my work, while i'm working, put it up a hoist and we'll check it. won't cost you a thing. have a idea what it could be. have had similar problems like this before.

Thanks Steve. Do you work saturday or sunday?

------------------

·
Registered
397 Posts
My guess is your front shaft is bent (or seriously imbalanced), or that you've got a major shaft angle problem. It's probably one of those things that is a lot more obvious when the right person looks at it.

Hopefully creeper can set you right. If not, I'd be happy to take a look-see for you if you're in N. Burnaby sometime.

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Have you tried removing the front drive shaft?
If you have an open dif then I'm guessing yor front drive shaft is out of balance.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
another test we did was we unlocked the hubs and put it in 4 so the front shaft would spin. we drove around a little but there was no vibrations. so if the shaft is out of balance etc. would it still vibrate the jeep when the hubs are unlocked? it got me really confused after i did a bunch of tests on it.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andrew you beat me to it. As Cornjeeper said we did a bunch of tests and it doesn't seem to be the driveshaft.

------------------

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Take off the front driveshaft, and lock in both hubs. If you don't get the vibration anymore, then you've localized it to a problem with the driveshaft.

If it's the driveshaft, it could be as simple as bad angles, worn splines, etc.

...lars

[This message has been edited by lars (edited January 25, 2002).]

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
145 Posts
well n8 came by my shop. didn't even have to put it up on the hoist and i could see the problem. the front shaft has to much of a angle. if he let the front axle go to full droop it would bind big time, probably wreck the shaft and u-joint and it would be hard on the t-case out put bearing or wreck the ears on the shaft. just needs a cv put in. cornjeeper, you did a great job on the spring over. looks real good!!! should be proud of yourself.

steve

steve

------------------
westcoast rockhuggers offroad club

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now the new problem is how do I adapt a cv head to the 231 t case????????

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
thanks steve...it was more fun doing his then mine last yr mainly because i wasn't spending any money!!!!

as for a cv head to the 231 you should check into how the tjs ran a cv. you might just be able to get a tj cv shaft and a output yoke from the tj 231. the only reason i say this is because i THINK tjs came with cv fronts and the spline on the outputs could be the same as it is a very similar t-case. am i wrong guys???

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA w/ tuff country springs, np435, twin sticked d20, d44, 9", detroit, hi steer...and a autometer/CJ dash!!!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Front CV on XJ.........
Front CV on TJ
all the 231 use the same 26 spline output......in fact it is the same as a D300 rear output........

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender
Gradually becoming un-toyotafied.......Got 4.3???
http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
well n8 looks like your easy solution is just make a little trip to the wreckers and try and find a new yoke. have fun in this weather!!! brrrrr...

------------------

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
in that case does any one have any idea what a new yolk and tj front shaft would go for used??????

------------------

·
Registered
397 Posts
In my experience, Gary's will ask for around $200-$250 for a TJ front CV shaft. Pricey. They may or may not have a yoke for you, since they may not want to part out good t-cases. If they've got some broken cases, it shouldn't be a problem.

You ought to be able to buy the yoke new from someplace like Bert's. $50 or so. You might also try Jeap Thrills or Gemini...

Chris

------------------
See my Jeep's website:
www.bc4x4.com/chrisw

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Garys had the output yolk it is being delivered tomorrow $50.00. Gemini was $35.00 but I would of had to pay for a courier and that would be 10 - 15 any way.
I am having a new driveshaft made tomorrow. And if all goes well I will have 4 wheel drive tomorrow night.

------------------

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well I am now the proud owner of a fully functional 4x4 again.
The new cv shaft works great.

------------------

1 - 20 of 23 Posts