BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need any special tools to get the stock sway bars off? Is there one for the back axel too? Should I lose the track bars?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep
'92 YJ

·
Registered
302 Posts
sway bar no think it's 3/4" for the end links(not sure but it's a standard socket) and 9/16" for the brackets. Track bars are another story, you'll need a T-55 torx bit a LOT of WD-40 (start a week early) try cycling the suspension a bit and they should come out (mine did pretty easily but from what I've heard that's quite rare)
Good Luck
Dave G
PS been running two years no sway or tracks ... try it if you don't like it just put the front sway bar back and you should be happy like that.

[This message has been edited by Rockfrog (edited September 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the sway bar, but I'm not to clear on what a trac bar does. What function does it serve?

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Originally posted by OptBlackNite:
I understand the sway bar, but I'm not to clear on what a trac bar does. What function does it serve?

It keeps the axle centered under the vehicle. Since the leafs basically do the same thing by default it's only needed for people who think a Jeep should corner like a sports car.

FYI A coil spring setup like a TJ or the front of an XJ is entirely different. The control arms will not prevent sideways motion, so a track bar is needed.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

1 - 4 of 4 Posts