BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remoe a stripped Torx head bolt? The one thats holding the seatbelt retractor to the body tub, it's a *$%#%$# to get at with vise grips (or any other tool for that matter).

Any Suggestions?

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift
"I hope that was the skidplate"
www.members.home.net/ichris4x4/index

·
Registered
102 Posts
some heat and a bolt extractor...

Hardware store should sell them...you drill a hole in the stripped bolt and insert the extractor with a drill and back it out of there. That's what I would think of...

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
SAWZALL BABY!!!!!!!

------------------
92 Jeep YJ with 1 inch shackle lift and a 2 inch body lift running 31's

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
hammer a larger bit it, hammer a wide blade type screwdriver in, grind a slot to put a wide blade type screwdriver in, drill hole and use bolt extracter. apply ford precision alignment tool(sledge hammer of minumum 10lb weight) at any opportunity of course

------------------
-'85 XJ,2dr,4cyl,5spd,31x10.5's,2"lift,onboard air,bla,bla,bla,
-'82 J-10 Project truck, 258 straight 6, 5spd, 30x9.5's
"its not what you drive, or where you drive,
its driving what you have to where you want to go"

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by crazyguy:
hammer a larger bit it
And then weld it in place and turn it. The heat will help to loosen it a lot.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I don't know why people always expect screw extractors to work.
Think about it. The bolt head stripped out because the bolt is seized in place. You couldnt remove it with the correct tool so the head stripped out. Now we go and drill a hole in it and insert a backwards threaded screw extracter that has a fraction of the strength that the original bolt head did, you expect that to work?
Its gonna break off guaranteed, and then you're in trouble cause now you've just got a piece of metal harder than any drill bit known to man. Thats a problem.

The real solution is to weld a big nut to the top of the stipped out bolt. But first soak the threads in WD40 three times a day for a week.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, Slightly Wrinkled.
69 Ford, big tires.
72 Datsun 510, old and ugly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I managed to drill the bolt head off so I can remove the seatbelt retractor. How do I get rid of the remaining stud? (threads are seriously seized)

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dan, relax...

Why would they make a tool called an extractor in the first place if it didn't work for someone?

The bolts I've had stick on me came out with an extractor and some heat. Of course I didn't use WD-40...I used either Pyroil or Liquid Wrench (non-flammable variety) instead.

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Oh it does work in some cases, when the bolt threads aren't seized, but this obviously isnt the case.

Cutting torch, the solution to all my problems.

Hey Phil my winch is installed, I'll have pics posted tonight.

------------------
Dan
69 Ford, big tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dan, when we wheeling then?

I'm debating taking a week off work and coming up there alone...leaving the gf behind.

Did that bolt come off, buddy?

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
As soon as I get a front diff, I've beat the body back into almost square again, got a t-case together and the exhaust straightened out, but I'm still running around with a 2wd front axle.

Scanning in pics right now of the Damage from the crash, and of my new winch mount.

------------------
Dan
69 Ford, big tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I managed to borrow some sweet drill bits from a friend an drilled the SOB out! Now I just need to tap the hole and put it back together again.

------------------
High Country Explorers
Red YJ 4" lift

·
Registered
379 Posts
Originally posted by ichris4x4:
I managed to borrow some sweet drill bits from a friend an drilled the SOB out! Now I just need to tap the hole and put it back together again.

Youre lucky its only your seatbelt. My problem is that I keep breaking my Torx wrenches trying to take out my windshield hinge bolts! I cant heat it up cuz it will wreck the paint. Im not sure if i want to weld!

Erik

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by jeepFREAK:
Youre lucky its only your seatbelt. My problem is that I keep breaking my Torx wrenches trying to take out my windshield hinge bolts! I cant heat it up cuz it will wreck the paint. Im not sure if i want to weld!
Use a Dremel to cut a notch in them and then put a huge screwdriver bit into the notch and use an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) to back it out. Soaking it with penetrating fluid before hand would be a really good idea.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by jeepFREAK:

Erik
Me too! Those bolts are the worst! I couldn't get one bolt out of either side and I broke a few bits just getting that far.

------------------
Play hard + Rest easy
Drive a Jeep--'92 YJ
Option...Black Nite

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Broke three torx bits trying to remove a set of those windshield bolts to install a light bar. Had to call in the Snap-On guy for a bit that wouldn't break.

------------------
Dan
69 Ford, big tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i broke five torx bits trying to get my bumper off, finally i just cut the thing off
and now only use three to hold my bumper on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ROTFLMAO...............thanks for the laugh.

I have done that before too....I feel your pain.

------------------
Jason

1988 4Runner SAS Dana44/Dana60 with all the fixings (For Sale)

1994 Wrangler YJ (Stock, but will be rock worthy one day)

·
Registered
3 Posts
after you get the torx heads out, use an impact hammer the kind you hit like he said, you are better off using stainless steel bolts to put you hard ware back on

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to say but some of you guys are a sad bunch breaking all your bits. First of all a bolt extractor is old school. Craftsman make a new bit to take-out stripped, rusted, seized bolts and screws. And for all you guys that seem to break stuff the bits are garenteded for life along with all their other products.Remeber use a lot of penatrating oil and let it soak in first and if worst comes to worst show'em who's boss and (don't blow torch that's old school too) plasma the sucker

1 - 20 of 25 Posts