BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1993 s10 4.3L 4x4. Almost every morning the heat appears to be running at the bottom of the red line around 230 deg's, and then in the afternoons it runs at normal temp 195-205 range.

I was having heating troubles at the end of last summer and changed the t-stat, clutch fan, reverse rotation waterpump, back flushed the rad, engine and heater core. That seemed to help but now am having issues again.

The truck has the digital dash that I really do not like and I was wondering how reliable and accurate they are because they GM didn't seem to use them for very many years. I am also thinking that the temp sending unit may not be operating correctly and may change that soon.

Any other ideas? Ever heard of this before?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like the sending unit, definetly a low cost item to replace, and would have been one of my first parts to replace. Replace it or put your $$ into an aftermarket mechanical temp gauge to your dash. 100x more reliable, I've had faulty guages. Buy oil, volts, and temp (3 gauges in a bracket) Attach under dash or wherever you want). I have aftermarket (autometer brand?) gauges set right into the old gauges. Factory cluster was cut out to fit gauge. Worked good on my old 81 chev. I don't know about your truck. I sure others will post some good ideas over the next 24 hours.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the t-stat was cheap and my clutch fan was finished so the only part I've thrown at it was the water pump. The sending unit is next and if that doesn't do it I may try a new rad. I think its just the sending unit because it never smells hot or pings and rattles even under load when it reads 230*. I've tried to make it worse by when it reads hot I floor it on the freeway and have had the truck going 180kmh for an extended period and it doesn't read hotter than 230*.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Talk to radman here or on funinbc since he is a rad repair man.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.