BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89' Tracker has been doing this strange thing Reving thing. Once I have my Tracker running for a few minuites it starts reving up then dropping down then up and down, it goes on for a couple minuites then stops. After all that it runs great. Anyone have the same problem? or know what might be wrong? Any idea's would be greatly appriciated.

------------------
89' Tracker

G

·
Same problem, don't know what it is yet.
Got a theory though....
Mine only does it in cold weather, yours??
I have to wait until I replace my MAP sensor before I can do anymore trouble shooting.
Mine does it when the motor is running too cool, if I put something in front of the rad to bring it up to operating temp, it stops and idles properly.
I think it may need a hotter thermostat to keep the temp up. At least this is what I thinks going on.

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
(one day I'll do a SAS)
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
412 Posts
my 1991 efi samurai has been doing that for at least the last 6-8 years.
it doesn't run hot, it doesn't run cold- never has been a problem, and temp has consistantly been "perfect".
if you are sure it has something to do with the thermostat/mass air sensor/etc., etc.
BEWARE haha!
since new, my Sammy had always had the dreaded starter "click,click". over the course of several years of replacing everything (sigh) starter/solenoids/relays/(some of these under warrantee i may add, at different dealerships!)it never went away, so i learned to live with it.
last year it started stalling/lights going out/turn sigs causing it to rev funny(!!!) you can't believe the grief i went through trying to diagnose this.according to EVERYBODY (myself inc.),the only item left was the igniter.
NUH,UH.nope.ixnay.
IT ENDED UP BEING A LOOSE MAIN GROUND WIRE.
all those years!
now i'm more hesitant to immediately point to: "it's a sensor" when a problem crops up.
if you guys find the "only does it when warming up rev gremlin", be sure to post what it turned out to be.
ps-i have replaced my thermostat, and every sensor in the cooling system loop.even the oxy sensor and computer,too! so good luck.

G

·
Well that doesn't sound too promissing...
The reason I have to replace the Map sensor is I busted it when I did my engine swap, oops.
I've got a few ideas about the reving, cause it never did it with the original motor. There is only a couple of things that I didn't re-use in the swap, so that's gonna help me narrow it down too.

------------------
'94 Chev 1/2ton 6"ProComp
(one day I'll do a SAS)
'89 Sidekick 3" body, 31'S
513's, E-Z Locker

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, if you figure it out please let us all know because I have the same problem. Mine only happens at cold start up and lasts only about a minute or two.

------------------
89 Tracker Budget 1" lift, 235/75/15...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts