BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT is the strongest transfer case available (I live in sooke so name it ill find it) and transmission. Im assuming the 1 ton stuff but what year n such? it will have to bolt behind a 460 because thats being rebuilt at school for my project.

------------------
ANTI FREEZE TASTE'S GOOD

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just had a visit from fozzy, I guess that i will keep the stock components and do out my 302, thanks ne way, also is anybody interseted in a student rebuilt 460?

------------------
ANTI FREEZE TASTE'S GOOD

·
Registered
382 Posts
Soooo you want strong like tractor transfer case eh? What about those giant 800lb rockwell cases from a log skidder or some other giant yellow machine? they will bolt right up behind any two wheel drive tranmission(with the divorce mount driveshaft)j/k C6 to 205 is as strong as the factory ever offered (but other factories offer stronger stuff--spicer,rockwell,etc...)the BIG benifit to running a divorce mount case is that when your wife finds out how much it cost...she wants a divorce!!! but seriously folks those old heavy machinery cases will take any amount of power that the 460 will make.

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota (floyota?,toyotfender?)
modified to not require the use of opposable thumbs

·
Superfly
2,140 Posts
The NP435 that you have in that Bronco will take everything you can throw at it Matt. Just change out the 208 for a 205 tcase. Even then you might be fine with the 208. My vote is that you keep that truck light, just leave the 302 in it....it's just a bush truck right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea basically a bush truck, but it will be built further than just a P.O.S. I would like to make it tough because I have a 50lb right foot, lol. A 205 has a higer gear tho right? isnt it like 2.1:1, cause the 208 it a 2.8:1 er somthing, not quite sure. OH well if u have a np435 that will hold up but what is the strongest "stock" transfer case but with a good low gear cuz I hate down hill speed. well thanks

------------------
ANTI FREEZE TASTE'S GOOD

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
If you want a real tough t-case, check early '70s International pickups, some of them had rockwell divorce mount transfer cases.

If not, they had NP200, 201 and 205 cases.

Shawn

·
Registered
134 Posts
Believe in Wil, go with a 205. If your foot is that heavy the little gear difference won't matter.

------------------
Professional Cheese Taster----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I'm thinking those old Rockwell T-cases will take anything you throw at them too.

Dan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dunno if I'd be too worried about the NP205's long-term durability - those things are pretty much nuke-proof (esp. if you're only running a 302 in front of it), although the low-range ratio could be better. They're probably also a lot easier to come by than the Rockwells used by IH... Though if you could find one, I'm sure they'd stand up to pretty much anything you can dish out, too..

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Try standard auto wrecking for IH trucks, 99 truck parts may have something also.

I thought early '70s GMC had NP200 transfer cases as well.

I know Brad Ried had a IHC 1200 pickup in back of his shop in Richmond, I was looking at it and it had a 345, T19 and divorced NP205, but it is gone to truck heaven now.

Shawn

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If money is no object get the advanced adapters ATLAS transfer case.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Money is an object. If anybody wants some good stuff and you have rockwell, I live in sooke and probebly find it for a trade, so thats rockwell and or np200. My uncle has a bunch of fords and my dads friend has a bunch of chevys (a few of the junk yards in sooke) so please tell me if you have rockwell.

------------------
GRASSHOPPER

CHEVY THE HEARTBEAT OF AMERICA NEEDS A PACEMAKER

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Found a little more info, there is no NP200, sorry about that, but the NP201 is supposed to be the toughest of the bunch, they came on 1960's IH 4x4 pickups, divorce mounted.

New process decided that the NP201 was overbuilt and made the 205 lighter (in weight only).

The NP205 is a monster of a t-case, it should hold up to all the torque a 460 can feed it and much more, you would probably break the diffs or the tranny output shaft first.

By my books, a stock 460 has 380 ft.lbs of torque, an IH 392 has about 320 and NP205's hold up well behind them.

A 302 only has 270ft.lbs, so you should be fine.

Even a Dana 20 would probably be ok, I don't know of anyone who has managed to break one in a Scout and my 345 has about 300 ft.lbs of torque.

Shawn

------------------
Be alert!

Your country needs lerts!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just give it up already and get the 205.

I am in the process of building the bombproof bronco and alll I am throwing at it is 351/C6/NP205. Even thou I am running Auto instead of a stick, it will be pretty much bombproof. If it can run behind a 460 I guarantee you that your 302 will never have enough Torque to break them, just get the combo and watch the ujoints instead. Easier fix aint it?

------------------
bog til you're broke
(if you can afford it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts