BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drained the old gas. replaced the suction feed and return housing. now i cant get the truck to prime. theres no gas at the fuel filter but its all hooked up and iv been trying to prime it for half an hour and theres nothing. tried changing the lines back and forth still nothing. anyone know if you can prime the pump or a trick to getting it to prime?

· Registered
223 Posts
From your description you forgot to put new gas in the tank! :poke::cwm23: Or, if you left out that small detail in your story, maybe you didn't put enough in to reach the pick-up tube? You didn't use a pick-up tube assy from a 2wd did you? Those are a bit shorter, and it would take more gas to reach the pick-up tube

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i put exactly the same style one back in. from a 4x4. i put 20 bucks gas in and used about 5 more just trying to prime it. still nothing. i tried pressurizing the tank and still nothing.

theres 2 pick up lines it seems though. 1 goes directly to the filter and the other up to the charcoal cannister i believe. not sure y there would be 3 total hoses. i know ones feed the others return but wtf is the one that goes straight to the filter for?

· Registered
93 Posts
Look for a shrieder valve on near the TB and press it, see if there is an air lock in the system. I'm not 100% familiar with what kind of system you are dealing with, but going to go out on a limb here and guess electric fuel pump? What year and model are we talking?

If electric are you getting voltage to the pump? Have you made certain the truck isn't just flooded? and you have full strong spark?

if you have a vacuum pump, apply vacuum to the supply line and see if you can fuel to flow that way, did you replace the rubber hoses between the tank and the hard lines?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a vacuum pump and no i didnt replace the lines i have been running those lines with no problems for a while. i didnt see any holes or cracks in the lines. and the truck has spark because as long as im priming it directly into the carb it runs till that gas is gone then quits.

· Registered
93 Posts
The lines can also collapse on the inside. I ran into similar issue with a 64 pontiac I was restoring. It stopped getting gas to the carb after hitting a bump on the high way. Turned out that the filter sock in the tank was packed full of rust on the inside, a chunk had broke loose and blocked the fuel line. I had to blow air backwards down the line to remove the block age.

I am guessing now that the fuel pump is located on the engine block, so diss connect the lines there and see if you can start to get fuel to siphon, had to do that when I replaced the fuel pump and again when I fixed the previously mentioned issue.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ill give that a try after work. the lines a run goofy and loosly zap strapped to the frame so i couldnt tell which was which. i tried switching them back and forth numerous times and tried priming it. but nothigng. my next try was to switch them and pressurize it that way. what doesnt make sense to me is that there is 2 pick up lines. one goes straight to the finter and the other 2 in the replaced pick up housing are the ones that could be mixed up. so pressurizing the tank should get fuel to the filter and its not. but ill switch the lines and pressurize it and see how it goes.

· Registered
150 Posts
It should be a mechanical pump if it's first gen pickup.
You've got your supply, return and vent lines from the tank the one that goes to the charcole canister is just a vent the other two are supply and return. The pump has 3 lines one for fuel intake one for sending fuel to the carb and one for return.
if you're tanks only about half full you can tell which is which by blowing on the lines from the pump end the one that just dumps gas and blows smooth air is the return (returns extra fuel from the pump and pressurizes the tank) the other one will blow all the gas in the line back into the tank then start bubling like blowing into a drink with a straw.
If I remeber it right the pump is set up with 2 stacked lines and one solo line, I'm pretty sure the supply line is the lower of the stacked lines, I think the line to the carb is solo line ther other one above the supply line is the return line but I'm not sure those I might have mixed up.
Also pressurize the tank and try and listen for air leaking out, if it's signifigant enough it will keep your gas from reaching the pump, I went through a whole bunch of crap getting mine to work once and ended up having a leaky gas cap be the problem.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i unhooked the lines at the top and and pressurized the tank and got air coming up in one hose and nothing in the other. wehen i blow down the other one i get bubbles. but theres nothing coming up the line. i cant seem to get gas to the pump. and i hope the pickup tube isnt broken off cause i just bought it fromu and it seemed fine.

· Registered
349 Posts
once i bought a 82 toyota 2wd with this same issue, guy shows me the truck running while he slowly poured gas in the carb . the owner sold me the truck for $50, i hooked up a large jerry can in the box and drove home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.