BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 77 F-250. I have the stupid power assist steering. I am leaking out the ram. I have tried the dealer Lordco and Napa I cant find a replacment or even a seal kit. I wanted to change it to power steering from a 78 but I was told that it was imposible. Is this true? If there is a way please let me in on it thanks...

------------------
Just right out of control Frends dont let friends drive rice

·
Registered
382 Posts
Impossible???? nothing is impossible, just that some things cost more than others..... try scoping out a 78/79 from a wrecker and see if your frame has the holes already punched for mounting the PS box... It's a place to start anyway...

------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
go to CeeGees in richmond. they have everything on the shelf and are very helpful in figuring out what to do with mismatching different year ford stuff. they helped me out a ton with my axle swap and brakes.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ SOA, shackle reversal, buggy springs all around, CV D-shaft, 35" BFGs, EB 9" rear, EB Dana 44 front, Warn XD9000i, 8 PIAAs, wet okole interior and several battle wounds from mother nature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisOlson:
Impossible???? nothing is impossible, just that some things cost more than others..... try scoping out a 78/79 from a wrecker and see if your frame has the holes already punched for mounting the PS box... It's a place to start anyway...

[/QUOT

Start looking in the wrecking yards at other styles of Ford steering. Do some measuring and find a bolt on swap. The worst thing you might have to do is re-drill and support the frame where a different style box goes. The rest should be bolt on.

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a professional Cheese Taster with the ability to satisfy many fine women at the same time----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
195 Posts
try www.jobriteauto.com I think There # is 513-team, they are in port kells..Hope that helps.......

------------------
James King
95 F150 4"lift on 33's
Surrey B.C.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I saw a sweet set up it used a 2wd box,78 bronco pitman arm.The frame was boxed with c channel where the old box was and the new box installed with the pitman arm facing left between the frame and front spring.Use a drag link from a manual steering set up.

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
78/79 F150 steering box and linkage. Bolt the box onto your frame in the same place as the donor truck. Done.

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

·
Registered
76 Posts
i don't think you can do the 78/79 swap
i have the 77 1/2 truck (first year for power steering) and the front crossmember on the frame is on an angle compared to the earlier trucks, this was for the power steering option from what i have been told, my buddy has a 76 which is the same as your 77 and he converted to power steering by using a 2wd 80 something f150 steering box, it works great...if you need more info on the swap, email me and you can either talk to my friend that did the swap or at least check out his truck...good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts