BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of 'low-core' wheeling for years, and I'm wanting to change to something older and less pretty than what I have (92 Mazda, mostly stock).
What would be your suggestion for used truck/jeep/suv to buy, and why? I'm primarily concerned with reliability (the best rig doesn't do you any good if it doesn't work); cost/ease of repairing commonly broken items, and ease/low cost of adding upgrades - locking diff, front end suspension lift, etc; and basic suitability of the stock truck, ie. low enough gear ratios, a bit of room for moderate tires (31-33 at most), etc. I also am fond of smaller trucks, and fairly familiar with most of the japanese models. I'm just woefully ignorant of any of the North American stuff.
Also - what year did toyotas switch fron solid front axle to ifs?

thanks!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by buckley:

Also - what year did toyotas switch fron solid front axle to ifs?

thanks!!
I'm not a Toyota guy but everyone seems to want an 85 toy. I would guess that is because it was the last year with a SFA.

------------------
80 Cj5, Met.Grey,360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Warn winch,
92 XJ Blue6/6.5" Rubicon, 33" Swampers, engine build up in the works

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
If you are looking for something that is easy and inexpensive to modify I would say go with either an old toy, a jeep, or and old chev. Parts are a dime a dozen for these trucks. The thing you have to decied is what sort of truck you want. Jeeps are gret for off-roading, but really lack in storage space for gear and are very easy for people to break into. Toys have more space but have relatively small cabs, unless you get a 4-runer. and full sizes have lots of room, but don't fit on all the trails. If you decide to go with a full size I would sugguest getting a reg cab short box. You don't get the storage space behind the seat for storage, but it will allow you to fit on some of the tighter trails that nees shorter wheel bases.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN :(
Looks beaten up but it's fun.
360 V8, TF-727, NP-205, D44 front, chrysler 8 3/4" rear with detroit locker
http://members.shaw.ca/jaretthumphrey

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Last solid front axle toy was somewhere from 85-87 i think. Toyotas this old tend to have serious rust problems, then again, we've got a large toyota member base that can likely help you out with problems if you decide to go that route.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
344 Posts
85 runner last year of solid font axle no ifs and first year fuel injected...doesn't get any better then that...

allan

------------------
93 YJ, 4" lift with 32's.
Member of the Herd

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
85 runner last year of solid font axle no ifs and first year fuel injected...doesn't get any better then that...

U WONT FIND A SOLID AXLE 4RUNNER ANYTIME SOON BECAUSE I'VE BEEN LOOKIN FOR 9 MONTHS ALREADY AND ALL I HAVE FOUND IS RUST AND CRAP BUT THEY ARE SWEET RIGS.

I'll probably end up with another 84/85 extended cab, i'd recomend the extended cab for the leg and storage room.

Toyota had SFA pickups from 1979-1985 with 85 having EFI and the SFA 4runner from 1984-1985

And whatch out for rusted frames near the rear spring hangers and from the cab back.

------------------
Sold 85 Toyota extra cab 4x4 2" lift 33" BFG M/T with lots of tire rub!
Wanted 84/85 4runner, needed a few more seats less rust, and a beter FRAME.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, anyone know if there are any other smallish trucks around with SFA? I don't know of any.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not set on SFA, it just seems like a better (cheaper to fix) alternative for an old truck. Replacing cv boots on an ifs truck is a @#%$# pain...

What kind of price range would I be looking at to get a rear locker installed? Is there a big difference depending on truck? I don't know much about them, I'd like something that I can lock/unlock at will, I always end up on pavement more than dirt.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My sugguestion to you is to avoid IFS if possible. It does not flex as well, is weaker, and much more expensive to lift.

When you say smallish trucks do you mean pick-up or just a small 4x4. Sammies used to have SFA. There is also a pick-up version of the scout(quite rare). There are also long wheelbase jeep CJ's out there(gives you more room than a standard jeep), but they tend to be hard to find. If you want something small that is relatively cheap and easy to get parts for, stick to either a jeep, toy, sammy, early bronco, scout. They are the easies to find.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited March 04, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I believe detroit lockers can be found as low as 650 and as high as 900. That's pretty general though, just a ballpark figure for you.

------------------
Stock 2000 Jeep TJ Sport
(I don't know anything, don't listen to my advice)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baby Joe,

I take it that is $CAN, uninstalled? how much work would be involved in an installation?

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I bought a locker for my truck last summer for $1300 Canadian(including tax) installed. at NSOR.

------------------
Coquitlam Crawlers
------------------
1974 Dodge W100 Power Wagon BROKEN

[This message has been edited by Jarett (edited March 05, 2002).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had an 89 Chev 4x4 that was a BC Hydro truck that came with a 10,000lb Warn, dual batteries and a V8. I only paid $4500 for it. It was ugly, reliable, and a pretty capable 4x4.

------------------
98 Dakota

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
What would be your suggestion for used truck/jeep/suv to buy, and why? I also am fond of smaller trucks
A year and a half ago I would have told you that I wouldn't be caught dead in a Ford, but I came across a deal on a Ranger and. . .well. . .

Ford Ranger's can make a good base for a reasonably capable truck for not a lot of cash. Check out www.therangerstation.com for some information.

Things to consider:
The TTB is a very durable (if somewhat bizarre) IFS setup -- and can provide good articulation with minor mods. If you want to change to SFA later, it's apparently quite straightforward (Dale???).

'90 and later Rangers have a D35 front axle (pre '90 is a D28 which is a bit weaker). Stay away from auto hubs and transmissions -- they last about as long as plastic air dams and running boards. . .

4.0 litre Rangers have a 8.8 rear axle which is reasonably strong -- the downside is 28 spline shafts (Explorers have 31 spline axles). The 7.5 (in smaller V6 and 4 cylinder variations) is not preferred.

'92 and later do not have rust problems that earlier models had. Body styles changed in '89 and then again in '93. The '98? and later has the newer IFS system (more $$$ to mod and you have the CV joint stuff to deal with)

Rangers are worth considering for a pickup -- especially if you come across a good deal on an x-cab. Explorers are pretty good as well -- 31 spline 8.8 rear axles, lots of room, still small enough to fit on trails. . . Not bad for around $7-8k

I would recommend staying away from S10s. I have one and don't really want to go down that path. . .

------------------
Steve Dillen
'90 Ranger. . .pretty much stock.
'94 S10 Blazer. . .pretty much a soccermobile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks sdillon, yeah I've heard better things about the post-90 rangers as well. I have driven around a (98?) mazda (basically a ranger) that I didn't love, but I could try to find a 92 or 93. Can you tell me a little more about the TTB? i'm not familiar with it and why it is more durable than typical IFS systems, does it resemble the system in the early 90's F150's?

thanks

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
i'm not familiar with it and why it is more durable than typical IFS systems, does it resemble the system in the early 90's F150's?
I think it's essentially the same as the F150 setup. . .

From a durability standpoint, the housing WILL take a beating. Have heard stories of hitting rocks with the axle and breaking the rock in half. While I haven't tried doing that, I have certainly pounded on the axle housing more than I should with no ill effect.

For other specifics (shamelessly lifted from www.therangerstation.com. . .THE place to find out about these trucks)

-Same knuckles and u-joints as Dana 44
-RR 7.5" R&P are very strong. Have heard of virtually no failures.
-Can easily be lifted
-Can easily be made to produce very good articulation with only the addition of longer radius arms and custom coils.
-Good aftermarket support, with many companies making lifts of all different sizes.
-Actually has hubs
-Entire assembly is very strong

I could try to find a 92 or 93

'92 is the second generation body style (looks like the early Explorers), '93 is the 3rd generation (same as the Mazdas). '89 - '92 look the same (except '89 has the D28 front end). I've heard rumors that '92 was a change to galvanized sheet metal. . .hence less rust.

a '98 Mazda
'98 was the first year of the new front suspension. . .

------------------
Steve Dillen
'90 Ranger. . .pretty much stock.
'94 S10 Blazer. . .pretty much a soccermobile.

[This message has been edited by sdillen (edited March 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by sdillen (edited March 15, 2002).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts