BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 22re efi swap was good for about a week, then my tps went bad and it ran like garbage. swapped on a new throttle body so i wouldn't have to adjust the tps and it runs great, but at idle it jumps up and down from like 1000-1400 quite quickly...

will adjusting my TPS fix this? i've never adjusted one before, but i have instructions on how to.
If not, what will?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had the same engine and had a TPS go bad on the trail; I had no power and the truck was basically undriveable. To get home, I just unplugged it and everything ran fine, other than a slightly higher idle. So you may be able to use this info to determine if the problem is your TPS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if the idle was set to high on the replacement throttle body then the computer will try and bring the idle down by shutting off the injectors and then turning them back on again when the idle is lower, thus giving you a surging idle. to check if this is what is causing your surge just back the idle screw off a bit to see if the idle smooths out. a vacuum leak could cause this concern as well.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,
I'll give those a go and see what happens.

Basically, the wire on the first throttle body came off while i was on the freeway so im thinking it shorted then... the idle would drop really low and almost stall, then come back up to regular idle...

This one seems to be running great aside from the up and down thing.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yotas have an iacv anywhere on them like hondas do? It'll give you the same symptoms when it goes bad or even if you have an air pocket in your cooling system.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Does the 22re have a coolant line through the TB like the 3vze? If so perhaps there is some air pockets in the cooling system. If not, make sure the idle is adjusted to stock (around 750rpm) or it will surge when you're on the brakes.

And defiantly test/adjust the tps, who knows if the used one is in spec or not? If the tps is the problem, unplugging it should stop the problems (but give you a high idle IIRC). If that works then you found your prob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.