BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my taxes back now it's time to purchase a suspension lift for my jeep tj.
Anyways I've been asking around at several
4x4 store, inquiring about suspension lifts.
Some tell me to go with the 2.5inch rancho suspension lift if I'm running 33's, other places tell me to go with the Rubicon 4.5inch
lift. What to do? Which is better? I already know which one is more expensive.
I just do the occasional trip here and there.
Any information would be great!

·
Registered
102 Posts
most weekend warriors i know are who are on a budget are very pleased with a 2" or 2.5" lift but there is always the " I must go bigger syndrom" which most guys suffer over time.

Unfortunatly i don't own a TJ so my comment is mearly hear say. What type of wheeling are you into.

Jason

------------------
IF GOD NEVER CHASED MAN OUTTA THE GARDEN OF EDEN THE GREENIES WOULD HAVE
[email protected]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try dave at t$s suspension he will give it to u strate and a good deal he is the best at what he does.(604)533-0712
I would go with a 2in body and 2 1/2 suspention lift but that is just me.
Tell dave what you want and what kind of wheelin u do and he can probably do something for u.

------------------
Play Safe Wheel Safe
91 YJ Sprung over on 35's

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I had a tj I would go 4.5 rubicon.I am one of those guys who bought the 4.5 for the xj then decided to go high.

------------------
If you can't stop....
smile as you go under!
99 XJ, 8" Sky-Jacker coils,leaves,yadda, yadda, yadda, 10" total 33"x12.5" MTR's = Divorce (?)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The nice thing about staying with under 3" of suspension lift is that you can usually get away without the added cost of a slip-yoke conversion.

The 2.5" suspension and a 1" body lift plus 4.75" backspace wheels would fit 33x12.5" tires really nice without a lot of "extra" expenses.
If you get drive shaft vibes and you have the body lift you can get raised engine mounts that get the u-joint angles back close to stock.

If you can afford the $$$ go with the 4.5" lift, but expect to shell out extra for a slip yoke conversion (don't cheap out, get a heavy duty one) and make sure it's a full kit that deals with steering, track bars, etc.

My winch, bumper, lift, and tires cost about the same as a good 4.5" lift plus extras. It's just a matter of how you want to spend your money.

Don't forget that stock gears suck with 33s, and unless you have a D44 the rear axle strength is marginal.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
If you're new to 'wheelin', a basic 2" or 2.5" lift like Chris mentions is probably an excellent starting point. If, after checking out the various trails, you decide that you MUST go big, then you can sell the parts and buy something else like the Skyjacker long-arm kit (which is big bucks but very effective).

If you know you wanna go big right away, then I'd still consider the Skyjacker kit because it addresses the geometry issues that arise when you run a lot of lift.

As I've said unnumerable times in the past, a 2" lift can take you a very long way on BC trails. Upper Hut, Starvation, any of the Harbourview trails before it was closed by the Land Conservancy, most of the trails along Butler and Boneyard like the Can Opener/Tugwell, Gas-It Hill/Gollege Crk, maybe Dumicon, maybe DSS, Blue Mtn when it used to be accessible, certainly any of the trails on Eagle Ridge, Windy Ridge, Whipsaw/Placer Lk, and most parts of Walker Valley and the Rubicon (but you'll have to take 1 or 2 bypasses), etc.

It won't do the Camel Trophy Trail, McNave, RIP, and probably some of the newer hardcore trails on the island. Of course, this isn't an issue if you're very much opposed to sustaining body damage anyway.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts