BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be better for fitting 33s under my truck a suspension or body lift? Would both do the trick or is one preffered over the other? And i assume a body lift would be cheaper?

------------------
Modification? What modifications?

·
Registered
104 Posts
either lift would do, but if you got the cash then go with a suspension lift over a body 'cause you'll gain some travel. Also, you can order an IFS travel kit from rockstomper.com which gives you an extra 3" of travel! plus body lifts look pretty sick.

------------------
91' Yoti with the Son of the Devil screaming at you from behind the wheel!

·
1,269 Posts
A body lift would be way cheap than a suspension, but will offer no additional ground clearance. Oh and those travel kits from rock stomper are basically an upper a-arm spacer that increases compression travel 3", no additional droop. They are however, still a good investment if you do go with an IFS lift.

------------------
I'd tell you about my truck but you probably wouldn't believe me.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
A body lift would be way cheap than a suspension, but will offer no additional ground clearance. Oh and those travel kits from rock stomper are basically an upper a-arm spacer that increases compression travel 3", no additional droop. They are however, still a good investment if you do go with an IFS lift.

How soft are the rockstomper kits for daily driving compared to stock? Are they alot softer (ie. more roll)?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Originally posted by Big Bad Pete:
A body lift would be way cheap than a suspension, but will offer no additional ground clearance.
bzzzt

TIRES give more ground clearance. not lift.

a body lift just lifts the body off the frame, while a suspension lift increases the distance between the axles and frame. la la la lallalala ala

------------------
Jeep. It's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Originally posted by kissmyaxle:
bzzzt

a body lift just lifts the body off the frame, while a suspension lift increases the distance between the axles and frame. la la la lallalala ala

Suspension lifts DO give more clreanace. They lift the frame higher off the ground (harder to high center). A body lift, however does not add any clearance. Tires add clearance all around. A suspension lift does not give more clearance under your axles, only tires do that.

Oh, and my .02 cents on a lift. Go with a suspension lift, body lifts are garbage. Buts thats just my opinion. What year is your truck? IFS is also an evil thing.

------------------
'86 LWB, 6" SPOA, 32" mud kings, weber carb, 4.62, K&N, 2" exhaust, custom bumpers and roll cage, camaro bucket seats
FOR SALE!
http://redsand4x4.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by randbeast (edited February 27, 2002).]

·
1,269 Posts
Originally posted by kissmyaxle:
bzzzt

Uh, if a suspension lift didn't provide more ground clearance for the chassis of the truck then wouldn't they just call it a suspension upgrade or something? Think about it for a minute, it'll come to you. Tires offer more overall clearance (diff clearance and ground clearance).

Boy it sure sounds like you know your stuff dude.

------------------

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think that a suspension lift combined with a small body lift, 2 inches max, is a great way to go.
My 1 inch body lift gives me just that bit more rocker clearance I need.
I'm glad I did it.

------------------
75 FJ40, 4 inch BDS springs, 1inch body, 35's, detroit EZ locker, power steering, disc brakes, 3spd low range gears, full cage, XD9000i, extended shackles, dual batteries....you get the idea.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok the general feeling I'm getting here is that a suspension lift would be better IF you can afford it.......about how much cheaper is the body lift usually? I would really like to go with the suspension but university limits the truck budget (when it breaks even more so) and if the body lift still fits the 33s that may be the way to go, for now at least.

------------------
Modifications? Lets see...... rear end drag from moose hunting, custom built canopy door, Pioneer deck with two, thats right two 6X9s, and bent bumper cowling from stupid wheeling move :) :)

·
1,269 Posts
A good price on a 3" body is usually around $150. A good price on a 4" suspension lift is anywhere from $800-900 on up. And yes, a 3" will clear 33s.

------------------

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question......will lifting the body of my truck play havoc with anything? Like will i need to change steering, shift levers etc or will i be ok?

------------------
Modifications? Lets see...... rear end drag from moose hunting, custom built canopy door, Pioneer deck with two, thats right two 6X9s, and bent bumper cowling from stupid wheeling move :) :)

·
hey, watch this!!!
1,600 Posts
you will probabally have to cut a bit around the shifters(5spd) lower the rad the same as the body lift height, possibly extend the gastank fillerneck. and the steering shaft should be find/

------------------
i didnt break it, i was just testing its durability

83 toyota SB/22re swap/11 inch lift/5:29/33x12.5/centerforceIII/American Racing rims/smittys front and rear/89 4runner seats lots of chrome and a flexible rear window

·
Registered
71 Posts
If don't think it's worth it to lift the IFS. If it's a solid axle, I'd definitely go with springs, but there isn't much of a gain for a whole lot of $$$$ on the ifs.

------------------
Just because the next guy has frosted tips, an earing, and a jeep doesn't mean you have to!
89 Toy p/u, locked rear, 4.3l on propane, still ifs. Work in progress

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.