BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace my front shocks on my 87' ranger and I can't get them off. They use the pin style on the top and every time I try the shaft keeps on spinning with the bolt. I've already tried Vicegrips. Anyone with Ideas, I'm trying to get it back on the road as soon as possible.

Travis

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looks like you've got a couple of choices. Brace the pin with something solid and try to split the nut with a chisel. Another trick would be to use a pair of Channel Lock
Nutbuster pliers to hold the pin instead of vise grips. We were playing around with a pair of those a while ago snapping 1/4" grade 8 bolts. Talk about gripping power.

Ed

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
If you're replacing the shocks and dont care about them anymore grab the shock body with the channel locks. Sure you'll dent up the shock body but does it matter?

------------------
Dan
-91 Cherokee, 4.5" lift, 33x12.5's
-69 Ford, lots of lift, 38.5's

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Played this game not too long ago. I grabbed the pin with vise-grips and hit the nut with an impact wrench until the pin broke off. I had to do this on both sides. I coated the pin of the new shock with never-seize so next time shouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check the end of the threaded shaft the nuts on. I've never seen one that wasn't slotted so you could grab it with a screwdriver to hold it. clean the threads good first and give em' a little squirt of WD40. If by chance there is no slot, see above....

------------------
FearMe is only for fun, my real name is Roger and I'm a professional Cheese Taster with the ability to satisfy many fine women at the same time----"Fifteen men on a dead man's chest..yo-ho-ho and a bottle of rum"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Go To house of tools and get a ZIP-CUT blade by Walter for your grinder.These are the cat's ass for anything like that.It can do the same as a torch but cleaner and little or no fire balls from the bushings

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.