BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Q#1: I need new shocks for my F-150 stocker. Has anyone heard on how Trailmaster shocks fare? The SSV invader or something rather (top of their line shock) was the one that I was looking at for about $70 a pop. Also looked at Rancho 5000 and Monroe Sensatrac (the black ones with the rubber boots). These three fit my price range. Also wondered if I can still get any Black Diamond stuff from anywhere? How about Doetsch. I read the review in the other section and thought that it was all good. Moving on...

Q#2: Also need a new rear leaf spring for the same truck. I am missing one entire leaf so it's a little saggy if you know what I mean. Planned on getting two used ones from the wreckers sometime soon. I was wondering what kind of leaf setup would be best for me. I offroad a little here and there, but nothing too serious. Stocker type stuff. A lot of gravel road driving though. Also have the bed fully loaded of camping gear and sometimes carry a friend's quad around in the summer time. Not to mention sleds in the winter. 3 leaf? 5 leaf? I got a line on some 5 leaf off a '96 today. I currently have a four leaf setup. Would it again rake it down?

I also heard that old '78 leaf springs go right on in. How would that fare? I don't want that silly rake down look.
Thanks,
Steph.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited October 13, 2001).]

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you're not planning on lifting your truck in the next few years buy GOOD shocks. Don't waste your hard earned cash on 5000's or cheaper trailmasters. Go with a gas Bilstein or give those Doetsch's a try. I read the report and it's my sights as well.

As for springs find a good honest spring shop and take the guy for a coffee. You will be amazed at how variations in design can change how your truck performs on and off road with or without a heavy or a light load. My Ranger had stock springs with four leafs each and had more travel than most brand name lift kit springs. They did tend to sag with a medium load and ran flat quite often. My 6" skyjacker softrides are awesome for travel but also sag under load. Oh well, it's a 4x4 for wheeling not hauling. Do your research and you'll love your truck even more.

------------------
Andy Rad..., President High Country Explorers 4x4 Club, 90 Ranger, 6" bits & pieces lift, locked front D35, posi rear 8.8, Ramsey equiped, 32x11.5 Mud Rovers, 4.56 gears, real cozy seats.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I checked out "4 Wheel Parts" today in Edmonton and they recommended me a
Procomp Explorer 3000. It runs about $59 ea. Better price than NSOR. I am getting them and you won't be able to change my mind. I am a taurus so watch out! The student loans and all the new tools I've bought lately can't allow me to buy Bilsteins. Plus being in school...blablabla

Leafs:
I got some used ones off of a
97 F-150 today. Remember my truck is a '92 so I was a little worried. $150 for the pair, not a bad price. I opted to stay with a four leaf and the parts guy said they would fit in no problem. Upon further inspection and measuring, My new spring pack is almost 3/4" thicker.

Old = 1 11/16"
New = 2" plus spacer = 2 7/16"

The eye to eye measurement is pretty much the same. It also has an alignment spacer with a male dowel pin sticking down. This I guess is for alignment purposes.

My old spring pack doesn't have this little plate spacer thing. It has a two inch block that looks factory, sitting atop of the axle. It's hollow from the outside and I have felt no alignment hole in it. There is also this piece that jets out towards my diff for about three inches. Looks kinda like a horn. I'd have to remove the current leaf to find out about how the alignment is setup.

SO I assume that the block is made of casting and it has a male dowel pin that goes into the leaf. Reverse of my new leaf setup. Hmmmm. How can I make this work? I don't mind that the new leaf pack is thicker, I am just wondering how all this **** is going to assemble back together. I am hoping that someone else has run into this problem before.

So I thought: if this casting had a male dowel pin going into the old leaf, I could remove the dowel pin and spacer on the NEW leaf pack, it's just a rounded bolt head and a nut (and if needed drill and ream the new springpack hole to perfect size). Then the overload leaf wouldn't be attached to anything. Hmmmm. This is causing confusion that I don't need this week. School is taking it's tole on me. At least it's my last week.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Stephan (edited October 15, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Those "horns" that jutt out towards the differential's pumpkin are your bumpstops for the rear axle. Ford has not changed its spring width or eye to eye distance since the early 70's I think.

------------------
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,

I went back to the wreckers today and had a good chat with one of the main guys. He sure knows his **** . Totally explained to me how the system works.
Also got a new single lid tool box. Crossover type. Super wide, and super deep for $100. I am very excited for my new toys.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
You should just buy my 6" Skyjacker lift system for your truck, best bang for the buck!!

------------------
78 Bronco 351M NP435 NP205, D44 and Ford 9", and all stock!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts