BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has recently bought a Vitara JLX SE 5 door, with 85,000 miles on it.

Could anyone give me some advice as to what I should pay attention to when maintaining the vehicle to ensure it runs well and is reliable. Does it have any well known "weak spots"?

Most of the driving will be on ordinary roads here in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
431 Posts
'lo...

Because you're posting from England and this is a canada based board, could you please post year as well as basic specs (engine, etc.) so we can be sure "your" vitara is the same as "our" vitara.

Thanks

David

------------------
Veni, Vedi, Velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 1993 1.6 (1590cc) JLX SE auto, 5 door estate with fuel injection, it has electric windows and sunroof and no A/C. It has a switchable overdrive and normal/power modes.

Yesterday it had a full engineers test and the only things it needs by the sound of it are a good servicing and also the lower ball-joints have excessive free-play in them although it has only just had it's MOT (the annual test of motor vehicle condition we have in the UK) so i'm not so sure about how bad this is.

I'll be having the timing belt renewed as soon as possible also and when it goes in for the service it will have all the fluids and filters replaced.

I have tested everything so far and it all works, all the electrics, etc. It drives great and only has one thing that is slightly annoying and that is that when you come to a stop the gearbox changes down into first with a slight "clunk".

I had to get a few things from the srapyard such as door handles and the like and it needs a good clean but otherwise it's in good condition.

[This message has been edited by MUDGUTS (edited January 10, 2002).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts