BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long does it take a qualified mechanic in a shop to pull a carberated 302 out of an automatic 83 bronco and reinstall a new motor, using the old motors manifold, carb, waterpump starter etc.
I don't want to get fleeced by the local wrench.
Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey, here is the book time for re & re of 302 long block, automatic truck with carb....11.0 hours (subtract .6 for standard tranny, which you don't have) add .3 for P/S, add .5 for A/C. These time are from Mitchell parts and Labour guide. Should be common at all shops. It really goes down in time if its just a straight swap...complete engine for complete engine. Time includes valve and carb adjust where aplicable in the 11.0 hour quote.

------------------
87 4 Runner SR5
74 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
87 Toy PU 4x4
87 S10 4x4 PU/Buggy project

·
Registered
55 Posts
keep in mind that there is almost never a strate forward engine swap. especially on old iron. no matter how good you are, there is always something unexpected that will arise. i say this from experience.

[This message has been edited by 73 f100 (edited February 17, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by 73 f100 (edited February 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Originally posted by 73 f100:
keep in mind that there is almost never a strate forward engine swap. especially on old iron. no matter how good you, are there is always something unexpected that will arise. i say this from experience.
Yes, but unless the mechanic can specifically point to valid reasons..the job shouldn't deviate tooooo much from book time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
true also. but not always. just make absolutely sure that he is aware,even in writing, that you do not authorize anything unless he has first discussed it with you. then there should be no surprises.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts