BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the cab on my 94 truck. It's a extended Cab standard with a V6. It looks pretty straightforward other than the bolts being pretty rusty. Is there any suprises I need to watch out for? How many buddies do I need to buy beer for to lift the cab off?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Ya i will second that. We had about 8ppl to swap my cab. And it was still pretty heavy ... other than that just go through it front to back and run your hands around the motor, trans etc ... you are sure to find a ground wire, or connector that you missed ;)

let me know if/when you need a hand

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Four guys a side is what I was thinking.....

·
Registered
573 Posts
i did mine an 86 with 6 people but it was very heavy get the truck as low as u can to the ground and i would get 8 guys plus you so u can run around the truck and unhook what you missed(you always miss somthing) figure out how your going to support the cab befor hand and i would remove the hood and doors makes life a little easier

if you have a big tree i hooked the come-a-long to the tree and a strap around the cab made it a little lighter good luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
I made some "saw horse" type stands on either side with 3 levels out of wood. then I would use my cherry picker and some rope tied around the rad support and lift the front one level, slide a huge 4x4 piece of wood through underneath spanning the 2 horses on either side, then go to the back, lift that witht he cherry picker, slide a second 4x4 to the first level, go to the front, lift more, move the front 4x4 up another level, go to the back, ect, ect, ect. by the time the cab was up on the 3rd level, I rolled the frame out from under the cab, engine and all. did it all by my self, no probs

·
Registered
730 Posts
its easy with a hoist. but seriously, its not rocket surgery, just dont drop it. the more strong backs, the better. "lift with your back, take your legs completely out of the equation and lift with a jerking, twisting motion." said peter griffin.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I got the old cab all unbolted and the engine wires and hoses unhooked in an hour, so now its time to lift her off. So far pretty easy.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've done two inspections on hiabs this week and it has crossed my mind to just use one, but the shop I do my CVIs at has a hoist, so I think thats the tool for the job. I haven't had much time with all the inspections that are booked this week. My other thought is the local loggers like to hang out around the shop on Fridays and I'm sure a flat of beer could lift a cab or two with those guys around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.