BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has two trucks. The first is a 1989 F-150 2WD extended cab short box. The second is a 1984 F-250 4x4 regular cab long box. The body on the 84 is really in rough shape. It looks like someone took a sledge hammer to it a couple of times. The 89 has a really nice body.
He wants to take the body from the 89 and put it on the 84 chasis. My question to the FORD BOYS is, did the frame change much between 84 and 89. Is the frame different because it is 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton or regular cab and extended cab

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also are the body mounts different? I already know that we will have to cut an extra shifter hole for the T-case. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
AFAIK the only difference would be the interiors and the rad support between the two body generations (80-86 and 87-89) either way the cab mountings remained the same throughout the pre 96 production ... if you look at the floor of the 2wd cab around where the floor shifter would be (you didn't say if it was auto or man) there will be a rectangular area that can be cut out and it is dimpled where you are to drill holes for the cover plate (you can use the plate from the beat up truck) OOPS just noticed it ext cab ... I'm not sure you will have to measure but I THINK the ext cabs had two extra mounts for the cab (I can check) Worst case you'll have to punch the rivets out (air chisel works great) and add them to the 89 frame (again there should already be holes in the frame for this) ... I'll get back on this.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Originally posted by earnie:
Thanks for the help. Both trucks are standard transmission. Anymore help would be useful.
I would think the frames are different. I know the Ranger reg/super cab frames are quite different. Should be pretty obvious if they are. Bodymounts will be different for the rear, same with box. Swap the front clip and doors, cut the box to fit if you are really energetic. I don't think the cab will swap very well.

------------------

I'm on my way to impact, Taste the high speed dirt!

G

·
the low part of the frame( where the cab sits) is longer on the x cab. When I mounted an x cab on my 73 F250 reg cab frame I had to use 3" body lift blocks on the rad support,and the front cab mounts and nothing at the rear to level the cab off. Lots of work but when was the last time you saw a 73 x cab short box 4x4?

------------------
79 Bronco 3/4 ton gear, 35" General M/T

·
Registered
63 Posts
This will be very tough. The frames between the reg cab long box and the extended cab short box are different. There is a dip where the can sits on both frames and the extended cab will be different. The cabs for the 84 are the same from 80-96 (97 in the F250HD and F350). They are also the same cab in the F800's up to 1998 I believe. You should be able to find a decent cab at a junk yard. Hope this helps.

------------------
86 F150 4x4 302 Winter fun
84 F150 XLT 351W Summer Fling

1 - 7 of 7 Posts