BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in theory, could you take a 86-89 4runner and swap in the benefits of say an 81 toy pickup, to give you a solid front axle? my diffs are 4.10, are the 4runner diffs the same? im thinking of taking on a big project of swapping stuff but i need some input, and i will only take it on if i have the time and for the right price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to say but here's a bit of info. The IFS, only has a 7.5" ring, therefore it isn't as strong as the solid axle which is an 8". Also the axles on the IFS aren't as strong, and you get about 0 travel from IFS. If you want to make your truck wheel well you should put a solid front axle in it, best years are 84-85 as they have long trussing on the housing. You can put it on leafs, or coils 3 or 4 link. It's a major, major job and you have to know how to operate a welder well. The only weak link is the birfield, which can be fixed using the new birfield joints that are being made in the states. The axles themselves are virtually indestructible. Most vehicles have 410s but it depends, some auto's have 456s and same with some of the v6s.

------------------
IFS- Shouldn't that be a four letter word?

·
Registered
44 Posts
all 4cyl ,trucks 84-88 have 4.10, autos 4.30, 4cyl 4 runners have 4.56, autos 4.88. and i dont know about v6s, although i have owned a 88v6 4runner with 4.10s.

------------------
84 xcab shortened 16inches, 3 lift, welded rear, 24$ paint, flatbed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts