BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone knows much about this swap. I have an '87 that needs lower gears. I have a line on some LC axle assemblies, but not sure I want to go that wide.

Do the Tracker, Sidekick, and Sun Runners (?) all have the same third members that will fit?

I know the autos and sticks have a different ratio, but was wondering what other info there is on this swap?

Any web pages detailing what is needed to make the swap?

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
The front (aluminum cased) diff carier is the one with the correct size gears.
the 'kick rears are bigger than the Sami.

As far as landcruiser axles.. they are actually only about 2.5" wider than the samurai axles and they will never break under the awsome power of any suzuki or toyota engine that you could fit into a Sami engine bay..........


------------------
1948 WILLYS flatfender/toyota
Soon to require a Mile -per - year speedometer http://www.ottindustries.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
a freind of mine has just finshed putting 5:13's into mine, you use both front 3rds as the rear is a smaller third member out of the tracker,and so on ...
you need to get a shim kit from breeze ind in PoCo over here to put in to the rear , dont really remember why but it is needed
See ya next weekend Jo-Jo
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Originally posted by jo-jo:

Do the Tracker, Sidekick, and Sun Runners (?) all have the same third members that will fit?
The sidekick 3rd member was a straight bolt in for the front end of my sidekick. (if that makes any sense?) It would've been nice to swap the R&P into a sami case, but wasn't really worth the effort for me since with the stock engine and 30:1 crawl I really doubt I could grenade the case! lol

Not sure about the rear axle though cause I stayed with the sidekick rear when I swapped the front end in.

What kinda rpms does a sami on 31's end up turing on the highway at lets say 100kmh (60mph) with the 5.13's swapped in? Also what about correcting the speedo, are there gear options from susuki or others to get it back close again?

Ryan Gates
92 Sidekick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by ChrisOlson:
The front (aluminum cased) diff carier is the one with the correct size gears.
the 'kick rears are bigger than the Sami.

As far as landcruiser axles.. they are actually only about 2.5" wider than the samurai axles and they will never break under the awsome power of any suzuki or toyota engine that you could fit into a Sami engine bay..........


Thanks Chris!

Well...I found a bunch of the third members for $250 each if anyone is interested and can't get them local.

I went and checked out the LC axles. They are HUGE!


The cover was off one of them, but it just had a light dusting of surface rust my buddy is going to glass bead before I pick them up.

They are off a '60s LC and according to our measurements they are only 1" wider than the Samurai's ('87). Measured backing plate to backing plate (on the backsides 54" I think...can't remember), and just to make sure we measured wheel centre to wheel centre and got the same 1" difference.

I will need to do some mods to get them in, but shouldn't be too much hassle.

I know I'll never break them that's for sure!

Need to find out what I need to get to convert the front drums to discs. Looks like it should be as easy as swapping everything from the knuckle out. I hope the knuckles are the same as the disc version so I can leave those alone.

Apperantly the axles are the same as Toyota pick-ups, but the outers are course spline. No need to change those I figure....

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
I had the cruiser axles (9.5") before I went to toy pickup axles (8"&7.5").
I thought the cruiser axles were just to much overkill. But thats just me.
The disc brake outers on a toy pickup will bolt right on to the cruiser axle, stearing is a easy hook up. With a little drilling the stosk sami drive shafts will bolt right up.

------------------
4 By High
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by KEV:
I had the cruiser axles (9.5") before I went to toy pickup axles (8"&7.5").
I thought the cruiser axles were just to much overkill. But thats just me.
The disc brake outers on a toy pickup will bolt right on to the cruiser axle, stearing is a easy hook up. With a little drilling the stosk sami drive shafts will bolt right up.

Overkill in what way, please explain? It must have been a major problem for you to go through the hassle to swap them again....

I know I will be loosing ground clearance under the diffs, but what else?

Was the weight penalty noticable?

------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Both sets of axles were an easy swap.
The cruiser diffs are overkill cause they are toooo big, lose alot of ground clearance, if your only goin to run a 35,36" tire the toy pickup axles are plenty strong enough. The stock sami master cylinder has a harder time stoppin the cruiser diffs, if you want to get lower gears it will be more $$$$, pickup axles are longer, cruiser diffs are alot more heavy ,good in a way that you get better flex.If you plan on doin 4-link coil in the rear its much easier making brackets for the centered diff.Its harder to adaped a front toy pickup cv driveshaft to the cruiser diffs.
All this is want i noticed after doing the two swaps.hope it helps.

------------------
4 By High
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by KEV:
Both sets of axles were an easy swap.
The cruiser diffs are overkill cause they are toooo big, lose alot of ground clearance, if your only goin to run a 35,36" tire the toy pickup axles are plenty strong enough. The stock sami master cylinder has a harder time stoppin the cruiser diffs, if you want to get lower gears it will be more $$$$, pickup axles are longer, cruiser diffs are alot more heavy ,good in a way that you get better flex.If you plan on doin 4-link coil in the rear its much easier making brackets for the centered diff.Its harder to adaped a front toy pickup cv driveshaft to the cruiser diffs.
All this is want i noticed after doing the two swaps.hope it helps.

Thanks Kev...

I'm going to wait 'til they get here before I make up my mind as to what to do with them.

I have a '56 CJ5 that only has a Dana41 in the rear, no engine, tranny or t-case...maybe I'll put them in that.

The ground clearance thing would probably be the only issue that would concern me.



------------------
jo-jo
http://island4x4.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
There are a few diffrances between the Crusher and PU. To install the PU disks you will need PU Birfields as well as the cruzer ones are a very coarse spline(8?) and pu are fine. Early Cruser also has a smaller bolt pattren on the knuckles so to fit the PU Birfield you have to grind the flatspots larger where the birfield slips in. I do believe they would be worth the time and trouble. Most Cruzers here are running 44's so they will hold up fine to any tire.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top