BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was looking at my jeep and thinking that with the lift tires and the locker it aint made for slalom racing so i was thinking about removing the front sway bar??? has anyone done this? if so how much does it really alter on road handling ???

·
Registered
50 Posts
what type of vehicle is it? if its a TJ or XJ you might want to keep them. I'm looking for one for my XJ as it doesn't have one now, too much body role

------------------
when in doubt, hammer the gas

81 toy 4.5-5"lift, rebuilt 22r, homebuilt bumpers, 33 mud kings JDgreen, 4.37's*for sale*

now have_87xj w/5' lift, snorkel, roof rack, 8000 warn, 33" mud kings and rust

[This message has been edited by braer (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
110 Posts
Theres really not much difference. I drove around for a long time with mine disconnected, but then my pa started bitchin at me about the safety factor. And its true, if you need to make a sudden turn or quick movement, your going to be all over the road. Just get some disconnects and leave it at that.
Jordan

------------------
"first you learn to crawl, then walk, then drive, then crawl again."

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been driving my CJ7 for month's now without a swaybar and it's fine. JUST REMEMBER THAT YOUR JEEP IS NOT A SPORT'S CAR SO DON'T GO SO FAST.

------------------
1985 cj7 6inch lift,full cage,custom $25 paint job,engine done to the max,32inch mud tires,cb,member of bone shakers 4x4 club.

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Given how easy it is to use quick-disconnect swaybar links, why don't you get a set and use them? No need to make your vehicle less stable on the street.

Also, the type of vehicle, lift, spring rate, usage, etc all factor in to whether or not the swaybar makes a huge or a small difference.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a YJ and I am ok with blackdimend lift

------------------
87 yj 4"lift 33"tires wife thinks the jeep comes first?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I took my swaybars out... I have bungees holding the bar from dropping on my steering

I would say GO FOR IT!!!
It is far better on long travel I found, as you arent bouncing around like mad. Take the trac bar out too... youll notice a huge road difference, and a HUGE flex difference offroad.

------------------
1987 3" lifted YJ with 31" KOs new paint etc.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got stiff coils in the front of my XJ and have totally removed the swaybars...

The rear has been out since I bought the XJ and it was a stocker...the front has been out since I did the 6" lift. I haven't had probs but like I said...I have stiff coils up front and am running 33x12.50's...

No probs here, but then I'm not Jeff Gordon either...

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

[This message has been edited by nikon_jeeper (edited January 17, 2002).]

·
Registered
102 Posts
why not just try it and see if your OKay with the characteristics of the rig, if not tossem back on.

And like Larry said why not just get some quick disco's and not worry at all

Jason

------------------
1990 YJ. Lots O'Fun
[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry i forgot to mention the jeep is a yj...and ya i think i will take it out and see how it is ...also braer i have the sway bars out of my 89 cherokee that was stolen if your interested in the bars there yours ...just email me and let me know...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Not having a swaybar or not having it connected will put unwanted stress on the rear end of your vehicle. I drove around for about a year without my front swaybar connected and from all of the driving and extra body roll I ended up having to replace the carrier in my rearend.(I donot have a rear swaybar)- mabye this was the better part of my problem, but I suggest why put your rig in that position, just buy quick disco's and disconnect when you need to.

·
Registered
102 Posts
from all of the driving and extra body roll I ended up having to replace the carrier in my rearend
Ok, so how does that have anything to do with swaybars? Please tell me...

------------------
Phil M. - Kent, WA
95 XJ Sport w/Stuff
"Who cares about a list of crap, can you drive it?"

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have a 80 wagoneer. would disonect help on this. If so are the hard to fabricate. If not does anyone have a picture of one they could send me, or do they have one i could look at and clone?

off list at [email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts