BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i bought a tranny & transfer case with a SYE on it.
And I need to know what kind of drive shalf I'll need to use to get back on the road?

A drive shaft out of what truck or Jeep will work?
and will it need to be shorted?? probably eh?

thanks mark

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Mark_87yj said:
Hey i bought a tranny & transfer case with a SYE on it.
And I need to know what kind of drive shalf I'll need to use to get back on the road?
It depends on whether it has a flange or a yoke on the rear output. If it's a flange, then you need a flange adapter. If it's a yoke, you'll need a yoke. ;-)

As for the type, it depends. Not all SYEs are the same. Your best bet is to remove the flange or yoke from the tcase and start browsing the junk yards. Look for a CV shaft that will be longer than what you need. Then have it cut down to fit your Jeep. An Early Bronco CV shaft (front driveshaft) was perfect for my Dana 300 / SOA YJ combo. Required no mods. EBs are hard to find, though. Try looking at various full size 4x4s as well as some older Ford full-size cars.

...lars

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
He bought Nathan's gear. I'm not sure, but I think Nathan had a rubicon cut and tap... if that's the case, I believe you can pick up a ford explorer or ford ranger front CV driveshaft. You'll also need a flange to bolt up to the t-case. You'll find those at a ford wrecker...

The front driveshaft will be much too long (I think mine was cut down 17"), you can get this done at any driveline service center. Try to use one of the BC4x4 sponsors (ie: Drive Products). They'll cut it and balance it for relatively cheap I would think.

Driveshaft cost me $110, Flange was $40, buddy of mine cut and welded it so well it didn't need balancing (thanks Andrew).

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
Baby Joe said:
Driveshaft cost me $110, Flange was $40, buddy of mine cut and welded it so well it didn't need balancing (thanks Andrew).
it was luck!!!!!!! anyway the flange you need is off a ford full size car (continental etc.) they can be found on the mid 80s cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts