BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my transfer case is stuck in 4H. The shift lever is in the 2H position as far forward as it can go but the front driveshaft is still spinning. What do I need to do to fix this problem? This is my daily driver and I have the next four days off work to fix it. Anyone been in this situation before? 1992 Xj with a 231 T-case.

Thanks.........Mike
80 Cj5, 360amc, Swampers, Custom 5in. lift, Off Road only
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street(yeah right)

[This message has been edited by MikeCj5 (edited December 05, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Is the driveshaft spinning due to movement or do you actually have power to it? Maybe your front axle disconnect is not releasing.

If the front tires are getting power then try this:
There's a clamp on the side of the linkage that allows adjustment.
Pull the t-case handle to N, loosen the clamp, pull the handle to 4-low, and then manually pull the linkage into 4-low. Now tighten the clamp and your linkage is properly adjusted. If it still won't go into 2wd then you have a mechanical problem.

------------------
Chris S.
2002 KJ - staying stock (almost)
2000 TJ - 2" suspension lift, 1/2" body lift, assorted skids, hooks, rock rails, rock lights, 33" BFG MTs, custom bumper, Warn 8274
Mud Puppy's Jeep site

·
Registered
327 Posts
You can buy my front end 150.00as previously posted

Jason

------------------
92yj d44 front& rear.4.09
33 geolanders
mazda 626 seats
2.5 susp lift 3" body
Ramsey pro+ 8000
SOA coming in Jan bye bye body lift hello 8" suspension lift

·
Registered
51 Posts
i currently have the same problem, i've bin stuck in 2wd, and 4 low, there a linkage under the jeep, you have to have someone move around the lever, and be lookin under, locate it, and it has probly come out of its bracket. u can move it around from 4wd, to 2 manually, buti just did sum stuff with tools(i'm sure u can figure it out, if i did) and got it back in the bracket, it did fall out once more, but it's been ok for a few days now so i hope this helps!!

------------------
'88 xj, on 33's fun in the mud.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had same problem.The vacuum svitch on the T-case was stuck in 4h position.Try to check it.I got new one at Chrysler for $23 dollars....

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Originally posted by jason-ramsey:
You can buy my front end 150.00as previously posted
Jason
A YJ front end won't bolt into an XJ Jason.

------------------
Dan
91 Cherokee, 3" body lift, 2" front lift blocks, Warn XD900i winch, custom narrowed rear seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by jason-ramsey:
No you are right Dan. Different scenario, Mikecj5 knows...

Huh?

------------------
92 XJ 6" Rubicon, 32s, strictly street

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by mud hound:
i currently have the same problem, i've bin stuck in 2wd, and 4 low, there a linkage under the jeep, you have to have someone move around the lever, and be lookin under, locate it, and it has probly come out of its bracket. u can move it around from 4wd, to 2 manually, buti just did sum stuff with tools(i'm sure u can figure it out, if i did) and got it back in the bracket, it did fall out once more, but it's been ok for a few days now so i hope this helps!!

The lever itself is not stuck in 4h. I can shift out and into any setting. 4h works, neutral works, 4Lo works but when I switch back to the 2H positon the truck stays in 4H. I think that Franc75 made a suggestion that sounds logical( four posts up) to me according to the problems I am experiencing. Franc75 could you email me and tell me what you went through to fix it and what you experienced prior to replacement.
Thanks again guys!

------------------

·
Registered
565 Posts
I assume you have a front axle disconnect??? If so, I would look at franc75's suggestion. The vacuum switch on the tranny uses a little ball to switch the vacuum from the disconnect or onto it that sometimes gets gummed up. If it is this it is simple to replace. Just follow the vacuum lines to the t-case, unplug vacuum lines unscrew switch and swap. Also, the vacuum diaphragm in the front axle disconnect can do bad and cause the truck to be stuck in 4wd. Both conditions cause my truck to stay in 4wd.

------------------
Dave

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by MikeCj5:
I believe my transfer case is stuck in 4H. The shift lever is in the 2H position as far forward as it can go but the front driveshaft is still spinning. What do I need to do to fix this problem? This is my daily driver and I have the next four days off work to fix it. Anyone been in this situation before? 1992 Xj with a 231 T-case.

Are you still in 4WD, though? Or is it just the front driveshaft that's turning? This is a critical difference. If the 'case itself is in 2WD mode, then there is probably a problem related to the vacuum shift engine on your front axle. If it isn't uncoupling the inner/outer axle shafts, they will drive the diff, and cause the driveshaft to turn (if one side of the diff is freewheeling, as happens when the inner/outer shafts are disconnected, the driveshaft won't be driven by the diff). In this case, I would search for a break in the vacuum line. Also check the diaphram on the line and the vacuum switch on the transfer case shifter.

If, however, you can feel your Jeep's drivetrain binding when making tight turns on pavement, then it is in 4WD and you either have a shift linkage problem or, worse yet, a transfer case problem. Fortunately, the tcase is relatively simple and you might be able to fix it yourself but you will have to re and re the 'case.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
358 Posts
When did they stop putting the vacuum switch
in the XJ?
I'm not sure if a '92 XJ has vacuum switch in the front axle.........

·
Superfly
8,221 Posts
Originally posted by xjtank:
When did they stop putting the vacuum switch
in the XJ?
I'm not sure if a '92 XJ has vacuum switch in the front axle.........
IF his front driveshaft didn't use to turn when in 2WD then it must have the vacuum switch.

...lars

------------------
19911995409993004:144444.103512.58274

Join | BC4X4 | .com

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man, you guys are a wealth of good information and suggestions. I am not too familiar with all the gadgets and gizmos on newer vehicles. It's not like my Cj at all!
Lars...I think you might have nailed the problem(vaccumm shift engine on axle). I can hear a hissing sound which sounds to me like a pressurized air leak coming from the front end of the Jeep. Also I have experienced EXCESSIVE!!!!! tire wear in the front.

Thanks all for the help,

Mike

Ps. Can anypne direct me to a link that will detail the recalls for XJs?

------------------

·
Got Arbutus?
1,269 Posts
if it was me i would just take the front driveshaft out, put it in gear and try to turn the front yoke on the t-case by hand. it you can't turn it then it's in 4x4 if you can then you have a disconnect problem.

------------------
'93 sahara ~ rancho springs, SOA, EB axles, detroit, 35s, and hi steer in the works

1 - 14 of 14 Posts