BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving and without warning my 2006 Taco 4x4 made a loud popping sound and shut off. I coast the truck to the side of the road. I restarted the truck no problem, however the truck will not go. Parked on a hill, in park, the truck rolls backwards. In 4x4 it doesn't roll backwards but it will only pull forward not actually roll forward. If you put it in reverse while in 4x4 its will go a small ways then put it in drive it goes forward a short distance before it stops moving abruptly. I think my rear axle is buggered. Any comments?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
there has been some major problems with the '05 & '06 rear diffs. seems like most people had their problems near new.

call a toyota dealer and see what they have to say about it. if the first one you call doesn't give you the answer you want then call a few more. it seems like the langley toyota dealer is easier to deal with then some of the others.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
if your truck has 4.10 gears then it's pretty easy to just drop this 3rd member in there yourself
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/1673605554.html

if you don't already have a locker then you will have one after putting this in and wiring it up. i don't think it's difficult to wire it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my Taco back with a new rear diff. First they thought it was the T-case, then the whole transmission, then the finally replaced the rear diff. They broke a couple things trying to fix it so had to replace those to, but the whole thing was covered under warranty, which was great cause that would have been a steep bill. Then the following day after I got the truck back, I got a call from Toyota saying they had made a mistake and that my truck had been written off at some point and was not covered by warranty. They wanted me to come back and pay the bill for ALL the work. I did not know that the truck had been written off. (should have carfaxed it but I didn't and the kid never told me) If it didn't fall under warranty I no intention of having them fix it. What do you guys think? Should I be responsible for their mistake?

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
fukem, you don't need to pay a dime.

they are going to try to convince you that you should but just keep telling them flat out "NO". i wouldn't say anything else to them except "NO". just avoid them and they will have to go away.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd say hell no. Even then, they broke stuff in your truck and did a lot of unnecessary work. In the very least, you should only have to pay for the rear dif, although you shouldn't have to pay for anything.

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
I have my Taco back with a new rear diff. First they thought it was the T-case, then the whole transmission, then the finally replaced the rear diff. They broke a couple things trying to fix it so had to replace those to, but the whole thing was covered under warranty, which was great cause that would have been a steep bill. Then the following day after I got the truck back, I got a call from Toyota saying they had made a mistake and that my truck had been written off at some point and was not covered by warranty. They wanted me to come back and pay the bill for ALL the work. I did not know that the truck had been written off. (should have carfaxed it but I didn't and the kid never told me) If it didn't fall under warranty I no intention of having them fix it. What do you guys think? Should I be responsible for their mistake?
hell no. if they try to convince you otherwise, tell them to piss off. total misdiagnosis, and to hear they actually broke things while they perform a repair just shows what kind of monkeys they've got running that dealership... which one did you go to?

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
if your truck has 4.10 gears then it's pretty easy to just drop this 3rd member in there yourself
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/pts/1673605554.html

if you don't already have a locker then you will have one after putting this in and wiring it up. i don't think it's difficult to wire it.
that diff wont fit in the rear of the 05+ tacos. they wouldnt even fit in a non elocked 96-04 taco housing as they use different diffs & housings. those 8" elockers can only fit in mini truck, 4runner (before 03), and the front of FZJ80 land cruisers, although being a low pinion wouldnt be a good option as oem is a hi-pinion. basically anything that uses the standard toyota 8" diff.

·
Registered
730 Posts
its their **** up. more specifically its the service advisors **** up for not doing a proper CVH (consolidated vehicle history) on your truck. that has happened at our dealership a couple of times. they will have to eat the bill themselves. if they tell you any different, call toyota canada (i dont have the number in front of me, but its probably off their website) which dealer did you go to? thats not right for them to conduct themselves like that, especially in these times of customer discontent.....

also, if its not warranty, ask for your old parts back. if they cant produce your old parts, thats another thing to take to toyota canada.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was Langley Toyotatown. The girl said she must have cut and paste something wrong. I already have the truck back with an invoice saying I don't owe anything, so I don't think they can do anything. I think it was the girl that screwed up trying to cover her ass. I'm pretty sure I don't have an legal obligation, I was wondering if I should have any moral obligation. I don't feel like I should, and it seems concensus that you guys don't either. Like Steve604 said "fukem"

·
ultimate web wheeler
2,359 Posts
i figured so. i went to them to diagnose a driveline vibe, they called me back, saying the noise is gone and it was a brake spring :rolleyes: dont feel bad about any moral obligations...they screw people everyday. can they even point out to you this alleged total loss paperwork? i doubt they will. let them suck it up...us consumers have to when we get the shaft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.