BC 4x4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of parting with my 94' v6 ext cab. Great truck, reliable as hell but I NEED MORE POWER!! Thinking of getting a Tacoma with the 3.4L and possibly adding a TRD supercharger or just getting a newer one supercharged from factory. Thing is I don't know any tacoma owners. Are the tacoma's as reliable as older Toyotas? How is the 3.4 engine and their electric rear locker? Are they reliable supercharged? Anyone who owns one or knows someone who does can you please give some input on them. Thanks

(p.s No comments on the fact that IFS sucks)

·
Registered
544 Posts
if you already have alot of work done to your truck I would think the price difference of buying and selling trucks would be about the same as an engine swap.but if your truck is still relitivly stock it might be worth it to switch trucks now befor you start cutting it up(and you will be cutting it up if you are doing any real offroading:D )
I don't know for a fact,but I would believe the newer tacos would be as reliable if not more reliable then older toyotas,its still a Toy right;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
the only problem I could see with a taco as far as off roading is concerned is that they have rac-and-pinion sterring and the frames aren't very strong(if you a sasing).

·
Registered
802 Posts
These aren't Tacos, but more or less the same info:

My brother has a 2000 4Runner with the 3.4 and Supercharger and TRD stainless exh, no mechanical trouble at all since he's owned it (bought new). The speed governer kicks in at 175 (there was no speed limit where he did that), and it'll climb a steep highway hill in 5th gear without any loss of forward momentum. Btw, the Supercharger is a dealer-installed item; the best place to get it from in the Lower Mainland is Regency Toyota in Bby, who are the TRD reps, and have installed quite a few. They were also several thousand dollars less than the guys in New West and Rmd.

My friend Brad has a 1996 4Runner with the electric locker; no trouble since he's owned it, although you can only engage it in 4-low (there's a mod for that though). If you're wondering, he 'wheels it all the time.

Disadvantages: Well, 2000 was the last year of the 5-spd, so you'll be getting an auto tranny if you want a 2001 or newer. Stupid Toyota catering to the soccer moms and rich folk who want a SUV but don't know what a clutch is.

Also, look at the front cross-member. Oh wait, there is none! That's right, the only thing between that jagged piece of granite and your relatively-soft rad support is... nothing! They attempted to protect the plastic lower rad tray with a "skidplate", but they left a gap between the skidplate and rad support big enough for a 3/4" stick to ram a hole through that $600 rad, as Brad found out north of Mud Lakes. So if you're going to 'wheel it, your first mod should be a custom skid plate. If you're insterested, send me an email and I'll put you in touch with a friend who's planning on fabbing one for both his and my brother's.

And the biggest disappointment: 1996 was the last year of red paint for the 4Runner. :D Although I think it's still available for Tacos.

"I believe" the only non-Land Cruisers you can get the electric lockers on are the 4Runner Limited's (like they ever see dirt) and the 2wd PreRunner. Somebody recently told me that the electric locker is no longer available on 4wd Tacos and 4Runners, but I haven't confirmed this.

And IFS is very comfy on the street and on logging roads, which is where most Tacos spend their lives. After driving my solid-axle truck over logging and mining roads for the past week, I'd gladly trade it for a '94 X-cab or 4Runner with IFS and a/c. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
my sister has a sr5 4-runner with the e-locker and I have seen a few others, I am yet to see one in a tacoma though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Your sister drives an older one then. SR5 4Runners are no longer available with the e-locker, or my brother would have ordered it (he was quite disappointed). Two of my friends have factory e-lockers in their 1996 SR5 4Runners.

Basically, if you want a decent Toy, you have to get a used one. Personally, I think a red, 5-speed, e-lockered 4Runner would sell well, but I guess I'm a f****** idiot as far as Toyota is concerned.

Btw, the 1996 4Runners have 2 less front body mounts than the later years; I don't know if this is the case with Tacos or not.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Greg did I just read your post correctly, you would trade your rig for an IFS Truck or 4-runner with A/C???:confused:

Anyway pretty much all of what Greg said is true. Up untill about 98 the they had real twisty, weak frames. They made them a lot better after 98. Now they have some other rediculous 4wd system in for the rear electric locker. It's really just a fancy limited slip. It has no way of controling each wheel individually as I heard one slack jawed yocal suggest on here. It abseloutly sucks compared to the rear locker but is better than limited slip.

I work for Toyota and I can confidently say that the 3.4l is one of the best engines Toyota has ever produced. VERY few problems. The odd water pump here and there. They seem to like to eat rear axel seals as well, but that isn't a motor issue. Other than that expect a leaky upper rad hose after about 30 thousand. I don't know why but the factory ones leak a little. Great power and holly is it smooth. You have to get one with a 5spd, oh and take off all that damned trim a running board crap if you get a 4-runner.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
4-runnin said:
Now they have some other rediculous 4wd system in for the rear electric locker. It's really just a fancy limited slip. It has no way of controling each wheel individually as I heard one slack jawed yocal suggest on here. It abseloutly sucks compared to the rear locker but is better than limited slip.
Are you saying the e-locker is limited slip, or that it got REPLACED by limited slip?

I'm hoping you mean it got replaced, cuz I'd cry if a Toyota guy didn't know how an e-locker worked. Although, I have met a guy that worked on Supra's and thought turbo's PULL out exhast (and have nothing to do with intake)...that was sad.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The toyota e-locker is an electronic actuated locker, when you flip it on it acts as a spool locking both wheels.

·
Registered
802 Posts
4-runnin said:
Greg did I just read your post correctly, you would trade your rig for an IFS Truck or 4-runner with A/C???:confused:
Yes, you read it right, I'd trade it for a nice STOCK 1994 or 1995 4Runner SR5 with 5-spd and a/c, and by stock I mean stock everything, including the stereo, no holes drilled in the dash or sheetmetal. My truck has ARB lockers front and rear, 5.29 gears, 1994 rear axle housing, 1985 front axle housing, rebuilt 22RE, 3-core rad, ARB front bumper, custom rear bumper with swing-away, rock sliders, long-travel 9012's f&r, Chevy rear lift springs with drop shackles, good frame, rusty box, 35" tires, grey interior, and a whole lot of custom stuff that I can't remember at the moment. Sorry, I'm keeping the winches and most of the electronics. :D

Never been off-road! hahaha

What's that you say, this isn't the For Sale forum? Oops.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a friend with a 98 Taco with the TRD offroad (locker). That 3.4 flies down the highway man, I drove it back to town when she got it and it wanted to run at about 120-130 km/h. I haven't really seen it offroad much but when we test drove it i got to play with the 4wd and locker and it just ate up the snow i pushed it through. The locker worked really well and pulled us through awesome. I told her she could swap me rear axles if she didn't want the locker, but she won't go for it, although i am sure she will never ever use it. Oh well, but i must say they are a nice package, don't wanna know how well you could wrap yourself around a telephone pole with the supercharger.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All the tacoma info you could ever nee can be found here, www.ttora.com follow the link to the message board.
I bought my Taco in sept of 99 and have put 67000km on it. So far I have alot of warranty work into it. 2 power steerimg pumps, water pump, the clutch, a/c compressor, 3 rear axle seals, new rear brakes, 3 inner tie-rods and a few other misc items. Of couse my truck was a bit of a lemon (most of this happened within the first 32K, but it has been pretty good lately). It has also seen it fair share of time in the bush.

Power with my 3.4 and 33x10.5's is OK. When I am loded down on the highway it can be a bit of a dog (I mean when I am at the trucks GVWR or more). When its relatively empty I can cruise along at 120kph with no problem.

All in all Tacomas are great trucks. Most people never really have any problems with them, aside from water pumps, rear axle seals and p/s pumps.

4x4's still have the e-locker option and it is well worth it. I wish I would have bought it.

You can see some old pics of my truck at www.na4wda.org ,but it has changed a bit since then.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i saw a tacoma parked the other day and on the bug deflector it said "supercharged 265hp". is that really what they're putting out? wow! :eek:

·
Registered
83 Posts
A TRD Off-Road package would give you Bilstien shocks, Rear E-locker, progressive rate front coils, and stiffer rear leafs and ALL Tacos X-cab 4x4's can be had with a 5speed. The 4Runner has gone auto and is NOT available with a rear locker anymore. I sell these and can get you all the info you want. Yes, the SuperCharged Taco puts out 265 HP, more if you want. (ie- headers, exhaust, etc)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got 98 4Runner sr5 with E-locker 100,000 km, (moded to be engaged in 2H and 4H instead of only 4L) and I love it. No problems so far and I wheel it alot

1 - 17 of 17 Posts